[comp.windows.ms] Creating 'cascading' menus in MS Windows

grendel@virgin.UUCP (Ron Lussier) (12/01/88)

There has recently been considerable use of cascading menus in Apple Mac
applications.  Other Workstations are also using these hierarchical menus.

Has anyone written code to generate cascading menus using MS Windows?  Is
it possible?  And would it be possible to get some sample code to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Ron Lussier
Normally at !virgin!godzilla!grendel.UUCP...
Temporarily living at !virgin!grendel.UUCP

brent@well.UUCP (Brent Southard) (12/05/88)

In article <2265@virgin.UUCP> grendel@virgin.UUCP (Ron Lussier) writes:
>There has recently been considerable use of cascading menus in Apple Mac
>applications.  Other Workstations are also using these hierarchical menus.

For the most flexible implementation I've seen, look at what the Amiga's
Intuition allows.

>Has anyone written code to generate cascading menus using MS Windows?  Is
>it possible?  And would it be possible to get some sample code to do this?

I haven't seen sub-menus on any Windows application yet, but it *is*
certainly possible.  Unfortunately, the SDK does not presently support them,
Microsoft has mentioned that they are being considered for a future version
of Windows.  To implement cascading menus now would take a lot of grunt
work, and possibly writing a menu manager from scratch, since there aren't
any easy hooks into the present menu handler.

Good luck!
	Brent

--
Brent Southard                    |  Everybody's trying to be a friend of mine,
Usenet:  ...well!brent            |  Even a dog can shake hands. - W. Zevon

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (rogerson) (12/06/88)

	To create cascading menus in MS Windows would currently take some
	grunt work.  However, how much grunt work would depend on how much
	you want the menu to act like the normal Windows menu.  The best
	approach that I could think of is to create a popup dialog box with
	a list box as its only child window.  The list box should be created
	without scrollbars (you must Edit the .dlg file if you use the Dialog
	Editor).  Also make the listbox the same size as the dialog window.
	To be nice to the user, add a caption bar with the menu choice the
	user choose to get to this menu.

	What the list box provides is all of the hi-liting of normal
	menus, the keyboard interface, and other such items.  It is not
	exactly like a normal menu, but a fair compromise.  The worst part
	is it is different from a programming standpoint.  The neat part
	of using this method is that you can make tear off menus, by making the
	it a model dialog box instead of a modeless dialog box! (with a little
	work).

	Hope this helps.

	-----Dale
		Rogerson-----