[comp.windows.ms] Windows V2.1 and Logitech Mouse

nomad@cisunx.UUCP (John C. Ramirez) (11/26/88)

   A friend of mine recently purchase and IBM PS 2 Model 30 with
DOS version 4.0, MS Windows V2.1, and a Logitech Series 2 mouse.

The problem is that despite repeatedly installing both the mouse
and Windows, when the Windows program is run, the mouse gives no
response, and the pointer does not even appear on the screen.

The mouse works fine otherwise (for example in Dosshell) and the
Windows program runs fine except for the mouse problem.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how it can be
fixed?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John Ramirez  ( nomad@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu )

pcb@usl.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (12/01/88)

In article <13921@cisunx.UUCP>, nomad@cisunx.UUCP (John C. Ramirez) writes:

>    A friend of mine recently purchase and IBM PS 2 Model 30 with
> DOS version 4.0, MS Windows V2.1, and a Logitech Series 2 mouse.
>
> The problem is that despite repeatedly installing both the mouse
> and Windows, when the Windows program is run, the mouse gives no
> response, and the pointer does not even appear on the screen.

We have model 30's, 70's and 80's, VGA, MSW2.1, MSW386 and logitech mice,
they all work fine.

Check the port assignments or try to get a new copy of the driver, maybe
it got clobbered some how.

Charlie@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Charles Anderson) (12/02/88)

In article <13921@cisunx.UUCP> nomad@cisunx.UUCP (John C. Ramirez) writes:

>   A friend of mine recently purchase and IBM PS 2 Model 30 with
>DOS version 4.0, MS Windows V2.1, and a Logitech Series 2 mouse.
>
>The problem is that despite repeatedly installing both the mouse
|and Windows, when the Windows program is run, the mouse gives no
|response, and the pointer does not even appear on the screen.
|
|The mouse works fine otherwise (for example in Dosshell) and the
|Windows program runs fine except for the mouse problem.
|
|Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how it can be
|fixed?
|
|Any suggestions would be appreciated.
|
|John Ramirez  ( nomad@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu )

We had a problem similar to this at work, and it seems that windows did not
like having the mouse device driver loaded, because it had it's own internal
device drivers.  So if your config.sys file has device=mouse.sys or something
like that try removing it and rebooting and trying again.
--
Charlie Anderson - caa@midgard.mn.org

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (12/03/88)

}
}The problem is that despite repeatedly installing both the mouse
}and Windows, when the Windows program is run, the mouse gives no
}response, and the pointer does not even appear on the screen.
}
}The mouse works fine otherwise (for example in Dosshell) and the
}Windows program runs fine except for the mouse problem.
}
}Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how it can be
}fixed?
}
}Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I had the identical problem with a friend's PS/2 model 50z.  It turned out
Windows didn't like all the TSRs that were loaded with the DOS shell.
FASTOPEN was a particularly bad offender that wouldn't let me install the
Logitech mouse as an IBM mouse.  When I disabled FASTOPEN everything
worked fine.

Note:  A call to Microsoft revealed they've had other problems with
Windows under DOS 4.0.  They sent us an updated version that was supposed
to solve some of them.  They didn't mention any specifics, but it's up and
running now with no problems.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

billc@mirror.UUCP (Bill Callahan) (12/05/88)

In article <3488@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) writes:

>Note:  A call to Microsoft revealed they've had other problems with
>Windows under DOS 4.0.  They sent us an updated version that was supposed
>to solve some of them.  They didn't mention any specifics, but it's up and
>running now with no problems.

Wow!  You're running DOS 4.0?  We had the understanding here that latest
version of DOS that ran with Windows without bugs was 3.31, which we are all
using here.  I guess you know about the bugs, but do you gain anything from
using 4.0?

Bill Callahan			 billc@mirror.TMC.COM
		{mit-eddie, pyramid, wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!billc
Mirror Systems
2067 Massachusetts Ave.		617\661-0777	x149
Cambridge, MA  02140

jsf007@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steve Fintel) (12/06/88)

In article <20534@mirror.UUCP> billc@prism.TMC.COM (Bill Callahan) writes:
>Wow!  You're running DOS 4.0?  We had the understanding here that latest
>version of DOS that ran with Windows without bugs was 3.31, which we are all
>using here.  I guess you know about the bugs, but do you gain anything from
>using 4.0?

I am running both Windows/286 and Windows/386 on top of DOS 4.01 (DOS 4.00
with the patches applied).  I have encountered only one problem not shared
with earlier versions of DOS:  under Windows/386, if I start a non-windows
application that doesn't have a PIF file, Windows sets the default directory
ot drive A.  All I need to do is have a disk in drive A (the program doesn't
need to reside there).  Microsoft is aware of the problem, and supposedly
working on a fix.

Steve Fintel

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (12/07/88)

In article <20534@mirror.UUCP> billc@prism.TMC.COM (Bill Callahan) writes:
}In article <3488@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) writes:
}>Note:  A call to Microsoft revealed they've had other problems with
}>Windows under DOS 4.0.  They sent us an updated version that was supposed
}>to solve some of them.  They didn't mention any specifics, but it's up and
}>running now with no problems.
}
}Wow!  You're running DOS 4.0?  We had the understanding here that latest
}version of DOS that ran with Windows without bugs was 3.31, which we are all
}using here.  I guess you know about the bugs, but do you gain anything from
}using 4.0?

The machine in question belongs to my SO, who's a graduate student in
Social Work at USC and _not_ a computer wiz.  She likes the shell menus
(that I set up for her).  Most of her work is brute, head-down power
typing.  She doesn't like the mouse and I've had little luck getting her
to use it.  She doesn't use Windows, either.  I installed it because it
came with the machine and I wanted to learn more about it (on the rare
occasions when I can get to it).

When she moves in with me (Real Soon Now (-: ) I'll have more time to play
with it. 'Til then, I can't claim much knowledge.

BTW, the updated disks Microsoft sent us had the same version numbers as
the ones that came with the machine.  Apparently this is a temporary quick
fix.  I got the impression they're waiting for DOS 4.01, which is also
supposed to be available RSN.