[comp.windows.ms] Text-editing library available?

dsb@Rational.COM (David S. Bakin) (12/08/88)

I'm going to have to write a routine that allows input and manipulation
of a text object which can have multiple fonts, sizes, and styles.  Macs
can do this in the toolkit, but I haven't found anything in the Windows
library.  (An Edit class window doesn't look powerful enough.)  Has anyone
done this?  Are you willing to e-mail the routine(s) to me?  Where else
can I look?  Thanks!  -- Dave
Dave Bakin				    (408) 496-3600
c/o Rational; 3320 Scott Blvd.; Santa Clara, CA 95054-3197
Internet:  dsb@rational.com	 Uucp:  ...!uunet!igor!dsb

billc@mirror.UUCP (Bill Callahan) (12/09/88)

In article <496@igor.Rational.COM> dsb@Rational.COM (David S. Bakin) writes:
>I'm going to have to write a routine that allows input and manipulation
>of a text object which can have multiple fonts, sizes, and styles.  Macs
>can do this in the toolkit, but I haven't found anything in the Windows
>library.  (An Edit class window doesn't look powerful enough.)  Has anyone
>done this?  Are you willing to e-mail the routine(s) to me?  Where else
>can I look?  Thanks!  -- Dave

You're right.  Windows does not provide anything that powerful in its
standard set of routines.  You'll either have to find some existing ones, or
write your own.

We actually have written our own editor here.  It's not what you're looking
for, though, because we keep to a single font and size.  But you can create
a window class that is as powerful as you want.  You can trap keyboard input
easily.  You can create your own fonts with existing tools.  I don't think
there is any way to make fonts different sizes other than to create a new
font in the size that you want.  We have done that here in order to make a
special, small font.  Once you have your fonts, you can create DC's using
them, and then use standard tools like DrawText or TextOut to get actual
output on the screen.

In short, you can do it, but it will be a lot of work.  Look around, though.
It seems to me that if someone has already put a package like this together,
they would be likey to sell or share it.

Bill Callahan			 billc@mirror.TMC.COM
		{mit-eddie, pyramid, wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!billc
Mirror Systems
2067 Massachusetts Ave.		617\661-0777	x149
Cambridge, MA  02140