[comp.windows.ms] 320x200x256 drivers for MSWindows?

cook@took.dec.com (Dave...LKG2-2/BB9...(617)486-7781/Dtn 226) (12/27/88)

Can MSWindows support more than 16-colors?  If so, do any of the
graphics board manufacturers support more?

The reason I ask this question is that I own a Vega-VGA board from
Video-7.  In addition to normal EGA and VGA support for windows,
Video 7 also provides Windows drivers for higher resolutions:
800 x 600 and 720 x 540.  However, these drivers support just 16
colors.  I was hoping for a Windows driver that would support
320 x 200 x 256 COLORS!  (From what I have seen of the quality
of GIF pictures in this VGA mode, I would think that this tradeoff
of resolution for color-quality would be welcomed by many.)

Can anyone know of ANY manufacturer supporting this VGA mode under
MSWindows?

				Dave

(DEC E-NET)	TOOK::COOK
(UUCP)		{decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!took.dec.com!cook
(ARPA)		cook@took.dec.com
                cook%took.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com

fredei@microsoft.UUCP (Fred Einstein) (12/27/88)

In article <8812270341.AA02477@decwrl.dec.com>, cook@took.dec.com (Dave...LKG2-2/BB9...(617)486-7781/Dtn 226) writes:
> Can MSWindows support more than 16-colors?  If so, do any of the
> graphics board manufacturers support more?

	Yes, Windows supports up to 24 bits per pixel of color (RGB).  It
is up to the application as to how many colors it wishes to support.
However, color bitmaps are NOT device independent.  That is, a color bitmap
designed for the Windows EGA or VGA drivers (which are 3 planes, 1 bit per
pixel -- that is -- 8 colors) are not displayable on an IBM 8514/A display
adaptor (that is 8 bits per pixel, 1 plane -- that is -- 256 colors.)

> The reason I ask this question is that I own a Vega-VGA board from
> Video-7.  In addition to normal EGA and VGA support for windows,
> Video 7 also provides Windows drivers for higher resolutions:
> 800 x 600 and 720 x 540.  However, these drivers support just 16
> colors.  I was hoping for a Windows driver that would support
> 320 x 200 x 256 COLORS!  (From what I have seen of the quality
> of GIF pictures in this VGA mode, I would think that this tradeoff
> of resolution for color-quality would be welcomed by many.)

	There are no VGA drivers for this resolution.  The reason being
is that text (which is probably the most important part of Windows), would
be undisplayable at such a low resolution.  However, take heart, if you wish
to spend some money, you can purchase an IBM 8514/A display adaptor for which
there is a Windows driver at 1024 by 768 by 256 colors.  In addition, there
will be, in a couple of months, a device independent display driver for
boards supporting the TI 34010 TiGA graphics standard.  Therefore, you can
purchase any board based on the 34010 which supports TiGA and obtain a
Windows driver that will fill your needs.  I believe that there is also