[comp.windows.ms] How do I know if a child window is alive

cig@genrad.UUCP (Charles I. Ganimian Jr.) (12/29/88)

Hi,
	I am having a problem trying to find out if a child window
	exists.  The child window is the size of the client area
	of another child window, it is a grandchild... I need to size
	the grandchild when the child is sized and I don't seem to
	be able to get there.

	I was using FindWindow in the childs WM_SIZE processing
	to see if the grandchild was active and if it was send it a
	WM_SIZE but FindWindow never found the window.
	The grandchild has no border and needs to resize when its parent
	is resized.

	Any clues...

					thanks

					charlie g

micro@infoac.rmi.de (unbekannt) (12/31/88)

Newsgroups: comp.windows.ms
Subject: MSWindows SDK Problem

We have some problems, dealing with the MSWindows-SDK.

1. We are trying to create modeles-Dialogs. Within these Dialogs

   we have some fields that are editable but sometimes they are

   not. This depends on some data in other fields. To show the

   user, which field is editable, we want to temporary disable/

   enable the Border arround the Edit fields. The first imagination

   to do so was, simply use SetWindowLong(hWnd,GWL_STYLE...) to

   change the WS_BORDER style from the Edit-Control-Window. But

   no success. After using SetWindowLong, the Border arround the

   Edit fields remains visible/not visible, depending on the

   WS_BORDER flag, set during creation of the Dialog. To work arround

   this problem we will switch to use two types of Edit-Controls,

   one w/wo the WS_BORDER flag. But this will cost more Code and time,

   and I feel that there must be another way to enable/disable the

   Border arround an Edit-Control. Maybe anyone has some suggestions for

   us to do so.

2. Our second problem is, that we want to use more than one Edit-

   Control with each more than about 32K of memory. Because of the

   use of the LocalHeap, this seems not to be possible. But someone

   told me to GlobalAlloc Memory and then to pass the GlobalHandle to

   My Edit-Control as the hInstance parameter of the CreateWindow

   function. My code looks like that :

	   hGlobalMemory=GlobalAlloc(GMEM_MOVEABLE,32760L);

	   hEditControl=CreateWindow("Edit",....,hGlobalMemory...);

   But does not work.

   Maybe anyone has a solution to this problem.

   Thanks and regards

       Marcus Roskosch

       microCom Software GmbH (Germany)

brent@well.UUCP (Brent Southard) (01/06/89)

In article <432@infoac.rmi.de> micro@infoac.rmi.de (unbekannt) writes:

>   ... I feel that there must be another way to enable/disable the
>   Border arround an Edit-Control. Maybe anyone has some suggestions for
>   us to do so.

I think that changing the edit control's style flags will work, but you will
have to force a repaint of the child window via InvalidateRect() or
something similar.

	Good luck,
	brent

--
Brent Southard, ImageTech Corp.   |  Everybody's trying to be a friend of mine,
Usenet:  ...well!brent            |  Even a dog can shake hands. - W. Zevon