[comp.windows.ms] Continuing Windows Questions

pcb@usl.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (01/13/89)

Just thought that I would post some continuing questions and comments
that I have concerning MS Windows.  I have never really obtained sufficient
answers for these.

- How come the spooler will only queue up to 20 jobs?  Can I override
this? How did you find out, if yes?
  - I have an application that prints out data reports.  Reports can
    be N pages long and the user may only want to print page N so they
    want to be able to pick any pages.  Therefore we print each page
    as a job.  Seems to be a fairly simple yet standard request???

- Driver or Printer?  The HP-PaintJet is so slow we have decided to
  buy new printers (looking at the Tektronics color printers...).  How come
  windows, or the Paintjet driver, will not let us get more than six colors
  printed?

- Periodically, especially when doing print spooling, the main menus of the
  parent window loose some charasters.  For example:
        File  Plot  Re-Config  Edit
  soon become
        Fil   Plo   Re-Confi   Edi
  It seems to occur when control changes between applicatons during requests
  being sent to the spooler?????

- How do you tell how much ext. or exp. memory you have (like in the about
  selection in win386)?  GlobalCompact et al work on the 640k limit only and
  do not return this information (I think).

- When will Microsoft alter the installation so that merely changing a
  pointing device or terminal does not require re-installing the complete
  system?  Isn't this what device independence implys somewhat?

- There seems to be a problem when running two applications (different or not)
  that access different printer libraries.  What I mean is App A starts spooling
  to a plotter.  Then control.exe changes the printing configuration, and App B
  starts to a different printer.  We ususally get a system "freeze".  Why
  is windows letting me do this if it is wrong?

Thanigs, thats all for now, please reply to this newsgroup or send mail
  pcb@usl.usl.edu  csnet

jimw@microsoft.UUCP (Jim Walsh) (01/14/89)

In article <629@usl.usl.edu> pcb@usl.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>Just thought that I would post some continuing questions and comments
>that I have concerning MS Windows.  I have never really obtained sufficient
>answers for these.
>
>- How come the spooler will only queue up to 20 jobs?  Can I override
>this? How did you find out, if yes?
>  - I have an application that prints out data reports.  Reports can
>    be N pages long and the user may only want to print page N so they
>    want to be able to pick any pages.  Therefore we print each page
>    as a job.  Seems to be a fairly simple yet standard request???

   It probably isn't a good idea to print separate pages of a report as
separate jobs, whether in the Windows environment or not.  One simple
reason is that the print spoolers on many networks like to insert blank
pages, header pages, or other goodies between jobs.  Thus, if your app was
run on such a network, your could get 2 or 3 sheets of paper for each
page of your report - not what you (or the user) would probably want.

   Thus, you should probably try to modify your printing code to write out
the entire data report as one job.  I would also think that it would be
somewhat counter-intuitive to a user to see 10 or 20 jobs in his print
spooler queue when he printed one report, especially if he had multiple
Windows apps generating output to the spooler (jobs could be inter-mingled).

--
Jim Walsh                       jimw@microsof.beaver.cs.washington.EDU
Microsoft Corporation           jimw@microsof@uw-beaver.ARPA