[comp.windows.ms] X windows server under MS Windows?

dmurdoch@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (D.J. Murdoch - Statistics) (01/13/89)

The January issue of Byte talks about X Windows, the windowing system from MIT.
I've used it on Unix, and thought that was the only place it ran, but apparently
it's supposed to be a general purpose windowing system, and servers for it can
be written on any machine with a good enough screen.

Does anyone know if there is a server written to run under Microsoft Windows?
It seems a natural feature for any terminal emulator to support.

Duncan Murdoch

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (01/18/89)

From article <5417@watdcsu.waterloo.edu>, by dmurdoch@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (D.J. Murdoch - Statistics):
> The January issue of Byte talks about X Windows, the windowing system from MIT.
> I've used it on Unix, and thought that was the only place it ran, but apparently
> it's supposed to be a general purpose windowing system, and servers for it can
> be written on any machine with a good enough screen.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a server written to run under Microsoft Windows?
> It seems a natural feature for any terminal emulator to support.

    Actually I think you have it backwards, run Microsoft Windows under
    X-windows. And it's already being done. ATT's Unix 3.2 with there X-windows
    and Simul-task allows this to run on 386 ATT and clone machines. On EGA.
    Looks good too. Locus has it running under dos. Running X-windows from a
    dos machine to a dos machine would be difficult to implement the
    client/server model because dos is a single tasking/single user OS.
    I would consider Microsoft windows to be a window manager. Thus it
    would be Microsofts responsibilty to get it running under X-windows.

      ---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

billc@mirror.UUCP (Bill Callahan) (01/19/89)

dmurdoch@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (D.J. Murdoch - Statistics):

[Writes about X-Windows]

then:

In article <1209@megatest.UUCP> palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:

>    Actually I think you have it backwards, run Microsoft Windows under
>    X-windows. And it's already being done. ATT's Unix 3.2 with there X-windows
>    and Simul-task allows this to run on 386 ATT and clone machines. On EGA.
>    Looks good too. Locus has it running under dos. Running X-windows from a
>    dos machine to a dos machine would be difficult to implement the
>    client/server model because dos is a single tasking/single user OS.
>    I would consider Microsoft windows to be a window manager. Thus it
>    would be Microsofts responsibilty to get it running under X-windows.

    Right now, most of the X-Windows software runs on big Unix machines.
    The displays tend to be specialized terminals.  X-Windows itself doesn't
    contain the window managers.  It seems to me that since there are
    already a lot of PC's hooked up to Unix machines that are capable of
    running the X-Windows package, it would be very logical for someone to
    write an MS-Windows application that would serve as the window manager
    in the system.  Most of the real windowing stuff is already there.  All
    you would really need to write would be something that could handle the
    protocols over whatever link you have to the big machine.  That would
    convert your PC into a very smart X-Windows workstation, for simply the
    cost of the software.  Bet you that would sell!

Bill Callahan			 billc@mirror.TMC.COM
		{mit-eddie, pyramid, wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!billc
Mirror Systems
2067 Massachusetts Ave.		617\661-0777	x149
Cambridge, MA  02140

dgreen@squid.cs.ucla.edu (Dan R. Greening) (01/22/89)

In article <22244@mirror.UUCP> billc@prism.TMC.COM (Bill Callahan) writes:

>    Most of the real windowing stuff [for X] is already [in MS Windows].  All
>    you would really need to write would be something that could handle the
>    protocols over whatever link you have to the big machine.  That would
>    convert your PC into a very smart X-Windows workstation, for simply the
>    cost of the software.  Bet you that would sell!

It may sell.  But, I can tell you it's more than just handling the
protocols.  There is a *lot* of stuff in X windows, even just relating
to how it draws lines and how it handles colors, that doesn't exist in MS
windows.

Dan Greening  dgreen@cs.ucla.edu  213-472-4898  308 Westwood Plaza, #117
       	                                        Los Angeles, CA 90024-1647

prc@maxim.ERBE.SE (Robert Claeson) (01/25/89)

In article <19717@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, dgreen@squid.cs.ucla.edu (Dan R. Greening) writes:
> ... There is a *lot* of stuff in X windows, even just relating
> to how it draws lines and how it handles colors, that doesn't exist in MS
> windows.

Would it be possible to emulate those missing functions?
--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
"No problems." -- Alf

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (rogerson) (01/28/89)

Here is a message that appeared in the xwindow group!

For those interested in using X Windows Version 11 on an IBM-AT or
compatible, Integrated Inference Machines has developed an X11 server
which runs under MS-DOS using Microsoft Windows.  The server converts
an IBM-AT into an X Windows terminal.  It requires a system
with at least 2Meg of extended memory and currently requires an
Excelan ethernet board (others are planned).  Because the server
runs under Microsoft Windows, a large variety of monochrome and
color displays are supported.

For more information, contact:

Tricia Nuskin or Charles Ross
Integrated Inference Machines
1468 E. Katella Avenue
Anahiem, California 92805
Phone (714)978-6776
FAX (714)939-0746
--
William S. Cole, University of Southern California
ARPA: cole@dworkin.USC.EDU

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (02/01/89)

From article <2389@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM>, by rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (rogerson):
> Here is a message that appeared in the xwindow group!

> For those interested in using X Windows Version 11 on an IBM-AT or
> compatible, Integrated Inference Machines has developed an X11 server
> which runs under MS-DOS using Microsoft Windows.  The server converts
> an IBM-AT into an X Windows terminal.  It requires a system
> with at least 2Meg of extended memory and currently requires an
> Excelan ethernet board (others are planned).  Because the server
> runs under Microsoft Windows, a large variety of monochrome and
> color displays are supported.
>
> For more information, contact:
>
> Tricia Nuskin or Charles Ross
> Integrated Inference Machines
> 1468 E. Katella Avenue
> Anahiem, California 92805
> Phone (714)978-6776
> FAX (714)939-0746

    I contacted them, another case of the vaporware. It's due out
    sometime in April. They said they where porting it over from
    another system. When they release it it will work with the
    Excelan eithernet card with there TCP. That card and software
    isn't cheap, somewhere around $800.00.
    The idea of running MSwindows under X is still somewhat confuseing
    to me. Xwindows is a client/server model for a windowning system
    and all that a manufacture has to do is write a "window manager"
    into it.

    I can visualize mswindows as maybe an extended set with X.
    How would one handle the mouse routines? Can you disable them
    in MSwindows and replace them with with the Xwindows driver?
    Writting a windows manager for X that has a look and feel
    of MSwindows shouldn't be too difficult. I can here the lawyers
    brains clunking on the last statement.

    I guess the big question is: If X-windows already has the features
    of MSwindows why spend the time and money getting it to run under
    MSwindows?

    By the way they said there package will be around 400.00. You
    can already get Xwindows for DOS from LOCUS for that figure.

    ---Bob