[comp.windows.ms] Environment space when running a DOS task

leif@ambone.UUCP (Leif Andrew Rump) (02/09/89)

I want to run non-window-programs like MicroSoft CL, WordPerfect and
others from MicroSoft Windows. My problems is that I use .BAT-files to
create the necessary environment-variables that that program need,
call the program and remove the environment variables when the
programs is finished to avoid loads of environment-variables in my
AUTOEXEC-file and a PATH that has a width of seven screens! f.x.

      @echo off
      set winpath=%path%
      set path=D:\applic\windows;%winpath%
      set ...=...
      win %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
      set ...=
      set path=%winpath%
      set winpath=

But I get a "Out of environment space" every time I try - even if I
create a dummy environment-variable that is 70 characters long before
I call Windows and destroy it (and thereby creating space - I thought
- for other environment-variables) when my
non-windows-programs-BAT-file take over _BEFORE_ creating it's own
environment-variables.

HELP!

 Leif Andrew Rump, AmbraSoft A/S, Roejelskaer 15, DK-2840 Holte (Denmark)
 UUCP: leif@ambra.dk, phone: +45 2424 111, touch phone: +45 422 817 + 313

michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu (02/11/89)

In article <453@ambone.UUCP>, leif@ambone.UUCP (Leif Andrew Rump) writes:
>       @echo off
>       set winpath=%path%
>       set path=D:\applic\windows;%winpath%
>       set ...=...
>       win %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
>       set ...=
>       set path=%winpath%
>       set winpath=
>
> But I get a "Out of environment space" every time I try - even if I
> create a dummy environment-variable that is 70 characters long before

The way I minimize environment space is by using the following small .BAT file.
	echo off
	cd\windows\data_files
	path = C:\windows;%PATH%
	win %1 %2 %3
	menu.bat     "calls my main menu upon exit of windows"

I have files like this for every major application that I run.  This allows me
to limit my environment space.  Upon exit of my application (i.e. Windows here)
only the %PATH% path will be active anymore.

If you *simply* want to expand you environment space, I think you can do this
using the SHELL = COMMAND.COM /xxx where xxx is you environment space in bytes.
This line should be in your config.sys file.

I hope this helps

Michel Biedermann  ( MichelBi @oregon )  ALLEZ LA SUISSE!

beckman@dev386.UUCP (Zacharias Beckman) (02/16/89)

In article <197@oregon.uoregon.edu>, michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu writes:
> If you *simply* want to expand you environment space, I think you can do this
> using the SHELL = COMMAND.COM /xxx where xxx is you environment space in
> bytes.  This line should be in your config.sys file.

Actually (at least under MSDOS 3.3) the proper syntax is:

       Shell = Command.Com /e:xxx /p

Where xxx represents a number of bytes that will be reserved for environment
space, and the /p specifies that this is the top level command.com.