[comp.windows.ms] Problem seen in 286vs386 machine

divo@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Mark Divittorio) (02/15/89)

I am having a problem with 286/386 WIndows.  I have a very simple program that
allocates ~ 2K of memory from the gloabal heap and keeps it locked throughout
the life of the program.  Runs fine on a 286 machine with expanded memory.
I have run SHAKER and HEAPWALKER and have not been able to produce any
bizarre behavior.

I then try running on a 386 COMPAQ with 3M of memory.  The program runs fine
and behaves correctly, but .......
When blipping the DOS window I get an error message that there is not enough
memory to display the directory.  An ABOUT shows the proper (close) amounts
of conventional and expanded memory.  Disc space is another issue.  I should
have ~20M free, but it shows 60M (it is a 40M drive).

What am I doing (not doing) to cause this ?

The Compaq uses caching (grabbing at straws).  Do I need to compile in
a special mode that allows 286/386 transportability ?
I am using MS C5.1 compiler and SDK.

Any help ?
Mark DiVittorio
Lost in a C of confusion ...
att!hpfcla!hpvcla!divo

beckman@dev386.UUCP (Zacharias Beckman) (02/16/89)

In article <1850002@hpvcfs1.HP.COM>, divo@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Mark Divittorio) writes:
> When blipping the DOS window I get an error message that there is not enough
> memory to display the directory.  An ABOUT shows the proper (close) amounts
> of conventional and expanded memory.  Disc space is another issue.  I should
> have ~20M free, but it shows 60M (it is a 40M drive).

One reason for this could be that you have locked the global memory for the
duration of your application.  This is considered a HORRIBLE NO-NO.  It has
the effect of creating a brick wall in memory, thereby making it difficult for
other applications to request large chunks of memory.  Try unlocking it when
you give up control of your application.  BTW, the About box will only show an
approximation of available memory; it is subject to errors due to fragment-
ation of memory.  I've no clue as to the disk space problem, though...

Zacharias J. Beckman   ...   gatech!mdt!pgthor!dev386!beckman
                       ...   uunet!mcrware!pgthor!dev386!beckman
(319) 354-5116               (319) 351-1993

Ink: A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic, and water,
chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual
crime.

divo@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Mark Divittorio) (02/23/89)

Thanx for the Global memory warning.  I have revised things to allocate a
small local heap and allocate from there.  All seems to be in order now.
Thanx for the memories .........

Mark DiVittorio
att!hpfcla!hpvcla!divo