[comp.windows.ms] expanded memory with windows

tvasik@pyramid.pyramid.com (Tom Vasik) (02/10/89)

Has anyone succeeded in getting Microsft Windows to use
Expanded Memory?

I would be very surprised if there is anyone!
Any replies welcome.

Tom Vasak
Pyramid Technology
250 Farnborough Rd
Farnborough Hants UK

roper@june.cs.washington.edu (Michael Roper) (02/10/89)

Tom Vasik writes:

> Has anyone succeeded in getting Microsft Windows to use
> Expanded Memory?

You'll have to elaborate.  I'll assume you're running 2.1
and LIM 4.0 expanded memory.  Windows 286 uses expanded
memory automatically.  Also, a Windows app can manage any
available expanded memory itself (Excel).  Make sure you've
installed Windows correctly and don't see any errors when
you start up.  If you are running Windows 386, then you
may have a problem.  Expanded memory must be converted to
extended memory and no EMM can be installed because Windows
uses its own EMM which simulates expanded memory.  This is
documented in the "Getting Started with Windows/386" booklet.

Mike Roper

rich@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com (Rich Hume) (02/11/89)

In article <58501@pyramid.pyramid.com> tvasik@pyramid.pyramid.com (Tom Vasik) writes:
>Has anyone succeeded in getting Microsft Windows to use
>Expanded Memory?
>
>I would be very surprised if there is anyone!
>Any replies welcome.

Certainly!  We use 386MAX to emulate LIM 4.0 expanded memory in
extended memory and Windows/286 recognizes and uses it.

We have also used an AST expanded memory board which Windows/286 used.

rich.hume@sandiego.NCR.COM

caa@midgard.Midgard.MN.ORG (Charles A Anderson) (02/11/89)

In article <58501@pyramid.pyramid.com> tvasik@pyramid.pyramid.com (Tom Vasik) writes:
|Has anyone succeeded in getting Microsft Windows to use
|Expanded Memory?
|
|I would be very surprised if there is anyone!
|Any replies welcome.
|
|Tom Vasak
|Pyramid Technology
|250 Farnborough Rd
|Farnborough Hants UK

Yes we have, we have had no problems using expanded memory on a Z-248, 286,
and 386 using a rampage card and the remm.sys which came on the windows
utility (I think???) disk.  You have to be using LIM 4.0.  What are you
running?

--
Charles Anderson              | People of the Earth can you hear me?
    caa@midgard.mn.org        | Came a voice from the sky on that magical night

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Vidiot) (02/12/89)

In article <58501@pyramid.pyramid.com> tvasik@pyramid.pyramid.com (Tom Vasik) writes:
<Has anyone succeeded in getting Microsft Windows to use
<Expanded Memory?
<
<I would be very surprised if there is anyone!

You're right, it would be a surprise since MS Windows doesn't use it.
Windows/386 uses extended memory only.  Windows/286 may be the same way.
I have no idea about regular 8088 type Windows.
--
	       harvard-\	 att--\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown

beckman@dev386.UUCP (Zacharias Beckman) (02/14/89)

There are currently two implementations of Windows:  Windows/286 and
Windows/386, both of which make use of expanded memory.  Windows/386 can, in
addition, convert extended memory to expanded memory; thus, it uses both.
There is no '8088 version of Windows'.

alb1@rruxw.UUCP (Albert L Barbee) (02/16/89)

+<Has anyone succeeded in getting Microsft Windows to use
+<Expanded Memory?
+<
+<I would be very surprised if there is anyone!

+You're right, it would be a surprise since MS Windows doesn't use it.
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+Windows/386 uses extended memory only.  Windows/286 may be the same way.
+I have no idea about regular 8088 type Windows.

Wrong.  Windows/286 Manual page 241 - Using Expanded Memory with MS-Windows
states "Windows can use expanded memory for applications and data if
your computers expanded memory manager has special support for windows."

Next paragraph: "Windows can not use extended memory"

I have windows running on an AST premium 286 and it uses the expanded
memory just fine.
Albert L. Barbee			Bell Communications Research
(201) 699-5252				444 Hoes Lane
alb1@bellcore.bellcore.com		Piscataway, NJ 08854

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (02/24/89)

As quoted from <435@dev386.UUCP> by beckman@dev386.UUCP (Zacharias Beckman):
+---------------
| There are currently two implementations of Windows:  Windows/286 and
| Windows/386, both of which make use of expanded memory.  Windows/386 can, in
| addition, convert extended memory to expanded memory; thus, it uses both.
| There is no '8088 version of Windows'.

The product currently known as "Windows/286" is roughly the same Windows
that was originally released for 8086/8088 machines.  The problem is, a 5MHz
8088 system just plain doesn't have the horsepower to work at a reasonable
speed.  I've used Windows/286 on an 8088; it works fine, but the miserable
performance convinced me to buy an Inboard-386 for my machine.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu