[comp.windows.ms] More neo questions and HIMEM.SYS

abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (02/22/89)

I have windows/286 2.1 but am a little leery of running HIMEM.SYS, as I have
heard that it is buggy.  Is this true?  Advice is wanted.

Opinion:  2.1 is a HELL of a lot bigger and harder to install than 1.03, and I
see little benefit/difference outside of the overlapping (instead of tiled)
windows.  Also, anyone know why "About ..." was moved from the system menu into
the File menu?  Seems kind of stupid to me...
--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!yourID

beckman@dev386.UUCP (Zacharias Beckman) (02/24/89)

In article <1700@csuna.csun.edu>, abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) writes:
> I have windows/286 2.1 but am a little leery of running HIMEM.SYS, as I have
> heard that it is buggy.  Is this true?  Advice is wanted.
>
> Opinion:  2.1 is a HELL of a lot bigger and harder to install than 1.03, and I
> see little benefit/difference outside of the overlapping (instead of tiled)
> windows.

Version 2.10 of Windows/286 and /386 are vast improvements over the previous
version 1.0x.  I would highly recommend the upgrade.

First of all, you will notice considerable speed increases; many new options;
improved drivers for various printers and video; later versions of software
(the list of programs that require Windows 2.03 or later is growing); and,
personally, I much prefer overlapped windows to tiled windows.

As for bugs; I am unaware of any bugs in himem.sys; while most of my
development is done on Windows/386, I do use Windows/286 for testing purposes.
Himem.sys seems to work very well.  If you have extended or expanded memory,
you will find that version 2.10 makes much better use of such memory.  And, if
you are able to use Windows/386, you can increase the available memory
dramatically.

As an aside, Windows/386 3.0 is scheduled for release; I believe the date is
set in early Fall (a developers kit is now available, according to PC Week).
Windows/386 3.0 will use the 80386 addressing modes as they were intended to
be used -- in other words, if you have 8 megabytes of RAM, you will be able to
make FULL USE of all that memory.  Finally (and, I might add, without OS/2)!

Zacharias J. Beckman   ...   gatech!mdt!pgthor!dev386!beckman
                       ...   uunet!mcrware!pgthor!dev386!beckman
(319) 354-5116               (319) 351-1993

"Hey!  Who took the cork off my lunch??!"
--- W. C. Fields

bturner@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Turner) (02/26/89)

> Opinion:  2.1 is a HELL of a lot bigger and harder to install than 1.03, and I
> see little benefit/difference outside of the overlapping (instead of tiled)
> windows.

Bug fixes.  Performance improvements (especially in graphics output).  Ability
to use LIM 4.0 memory to bypass to some extent the 640K limit.  Various other
minor and major enhancements that developer's would probably see before users
would.

--Bill Turner