[comp.windows.ms] Epson printer driver of MS windows

morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) (03/16/89)

Does anyone know how to write (or fix) printer drivers for MS windows??

The problem is that the current version of epson9.drv that came with
MS Excel (and presumably MS windows) stinks.

It ignores the draft mode switch, and I don't like the way it maps the
screen fonts to printer fonts. In addition to that even when you have
persuaded it to use a printer ROM font, it still insists on going in and out
of graphics mode between each cell it prints, therefore printing really
slowly. (Yes I do turn off gridlines on printing).

So I would like to write a better version, I don't have the MS Windows dev kit,
but that shouldn't be necessary to write printer drivers, or is it.

Any knowledgeable MS windows hackers out there???

PS. Apparently the epson driver was not written by MS, but by Epson.
The Old version of the epson driver (presumably written by MS) works fine.
Except you can't access high density graphics, or NLQ mode printing.
--
Jim Morris.         {motcsd|weitek}!dms!morris or morris@dms.UUCP
           Atari Games Corporation, Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (03/16/89)

In article <745@dms.UUCP> morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) writes:

>Does anyone know how to write (or fix) printer drivers for MS windows??
>
>The problem is that the current version of epson9.drv that came with
>MS Excel (and presumably MS windows) stinks.

I resorted to installing the Epson driver from version 1 of MS-Windows
to get my Epson to work with version 2.

   ...!gatech!stiatl!todd
   Todd Merriman 404-377-TOFU
   Atlanta, GA

andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (03/17/89)

In article <745@dms.UUCP> morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) writes:
>It ignores the draft mode switch, and I don't like the way it maps the
>screen fonts to printer fonts.

Font mapping is only partially under control of the driver - the app
asks for a particular font, the driver picks what it thinks is the
closest match and returns the info, and the app can then either take it
or leave it (in which case, you get one of the [ugh!]  Windows vector
fonts - Roman, Script, or Modern).

>So I would like to write a better version, I don't have the MS Windows dev kit,
>but that shouldn't be necessary to write printer drivers, or is it.

I think you need the DDK (device-driver's development kit).

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (or @nosc.mil, @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (03/18/89)

Another problem...

If you abort the current job, your top of page gets reset!  This is very
annoying for obvious reasons.

Equipment & S/W:  Tandon PAC+, Windows/286 2.1, Epson LX-800, EPSON 9 pin driver.

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge

blew@tc.fluke.COM (Bob Lewandowski) (03/22/89)

In article <745@dms.UUCP> morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) writes:

>Does anyone know how to write (or fix) printer drivers for MS windows??
>
>The problem is that the current version of epson9.drv that came with
>MS Excel (and presumably MS windows) stinks.

  (( Stuff deleted ))

>Jim Morris.         {motcsd|weitek}!dms!morris or morris@dms.UUCP
>           Atari Games Corporation, Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.
>       (Arcade Video Game Manufacturer, NOT Atari Corp. ST manufacturer).
>Any opinions expressed are probably my own, and not those of Atari Games Corp.

The same can be said of the MS Windows / Excel driver for the NEC
P5200 and P5300, only you can say it louder! I couldn't get it to
work at all. "Internal error 0001" one time and "Internal error 0003"
the next. MS tech support asked if I had a mouse driver or any TSR's
installed and when I timidly said yes the guy said that I had to get
rid of all that junk and then try it again. I never fiddled with it
again, mostly because the driver for the NEC P5300 doesn't support
anything but 8 1/2 in. paper and I want to use my wide carriage
printer for what I intended it for, big spread sheets ! It also doesn't
support most the internal fonts that the NEC has, only the font cards.

The Epson LQ driver mostly works with my machine, but if I try to print
a large two page sheet, Excel says it's printing and the printer hiccups
a couple of times but nothing else happens and then Excel sits there and
smiles thinking it has done something wonderful !!  It must be that stupid,
memory hogging mouse driver that I still have installed !!

I'm just a lowly hardware type and am not interested in attempting to
hack out a printer driver, but if some kind and generous soul out
there has anything that might help, or could aim me toward such a thing
you would have my eternal gratitude! Well, at least 20 minutes worth!

Sign me un-impressed by microsoft Excel !! !!

---Bob
--
            Bob Lewandowski
    Domain: blew@tc.fluke.COM