[comp.windows.ms] Real, I mean REAL Neophyte!

michael1@ihlpf.ATT.COM (00771a-Pula) (03/18/89)

     Please take pity on a newcomer to windows land, but I've got a
  question regarding development of Windows applications.

  I'm fairly proficient in MS assembler, but don't look forward to
  developing my whole application in it.  Is there any reason why
  TurboC cannot be used to develop MS windows applications or do you
  HAVE to use MS C?

Thanks,
Mike

  ______   _______   _____   _______     -------      Michael K. Pula
 /  __  \ <__   __> /  __ \ <__   __>  -====------    att!ihlpf!michael1
 | (__) |    | |    \  \ \_\   | |    -======------
 |  __  |    | |    /  _) __   | |    --====-------   AT&T Network Systems
 | |  | |    | |   (  (__/ /   | |     -----------    12NW232480
 |_|  |_|    |_|    \_____/    |_|       -------      (COR)345-6449
                                                      (312)510-6449

dennis@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com (Dennis Foster) (03/19/89)

In article <8002@ihlpf.ATT.COM> michael1@ihlpf.UUCP (00771a-Pula,M.K.) writes:
> ... stuff deleted ...
>  I'm fairly proficient in MS assembler, but don't look forward to
>  developing my whole application in it.  Is there any reason why
>  TurboC cannot be used to develop MS windows applications or do you
>  HAVE to use MS C?

To write MS Windows applications, you need a compiler that can generate
windows compatible calling sequences.  Currently, the only ones I know of
are MS C and MS Pascal.  If Borland enhances their TurboC to
support the MS Windows calling conventions, you can use it.

ks26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kenneth Sykes) (03/19/89)

Would have just sent this to Mike, but Andrew doesn't deal with external
addresses well enough... Sorry.

>     Please take pity on a newcomer to windows land, but I've got a
>  question regarding development of Windows applications.
>
>  I'm fairly proficient in MS assembler, but don't look forward to
>  developing my whole application in it.  Is there any reason why
>  TurboC cannot be used to develop MS windows applications or do you
>  HAVE to use MS C?

Link4 requires some special object records in the .obj file that Turbo-C doesn't
know how to produce (now why wouldn't Microsoft want borland to know??? :-)
The only other compiler that works with windows that I know of is Lattice.

Sincerely,
    Ken Sykes

aubrey@val.UUCP (Aubrey McIntosh) (03/23/89)

In article <8002@ihlpf.ATT.COM> michael1@ihlpf.UUCP (00771a-Pula,M.K.) writes:

>  I'm fairly proficient in MS assembler, but don't look forward to
>  developing my whole application in it.  Is there any reason why
>  TurboC cannot be used to develop MS windows applications or do you
>  HAVE to use MS C?

There are also options to use Modula-2 to develop applications.
The current rumor is that Stony Brook fully supports windows, and I
did get such a demo compiler and application from them.

I also heard that the JPI compiler will support windows.

A Shareware version of Modula-2 is available from Fitted Software Tools,
POB 867403, Plano, TX 75086 ($39 on acceptance.).  I don't think that
this supports windows development, but it is a low risk way to see
if you can handle Modula-2.  Their bulletin board is 1-(214)-517-4629.

I would like to know the experiences of others who are developing
MS-windows using Modula-2.

Whatcha call a boomerang that doesn't come back?      A stick.
1-(512)-346-5781 (v)        using Modula-2. enquiries welcome.
Austin, TX 78759   ...!cs.utexas.edu![oakhill|kvue]!val!aubrey