[comp.windows.ms] MS Windows /286 + 386-to-max

harnyo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Suwandi Harnyo) (03/23/89)

I would like to know if there's anyone using the combination of
MS windows /286 together with 386-to-max from Quintus. Is it true
that this combination has the same capability as the MS windows/386.

Any information is much appreciated.

-Andy
harnyo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

dennis@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com (Dennis Foster) (03/23/89)

In article <9067@netnews.upenn.edu> harnyo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Suwandi Harnyo) writes:
>I would like to know if there's anyone using the combination of
>MS windows /286 together with 386-to-max from Quintus. Is it true
>that this combination has the same capability as the MS windows/386.

I am using the setup you describe.  (BTW:  386-to-max is from a company
call Qualitas, not Quintus).  You do get the same EMS capabilities using
Windows/286 and 386MAX but you DO NOT get the same capabilities when
running old applications.  With Windows/386, most non-Windows applications
can be run in a window right along side all your Windows apps.  With the
Windows/286, 386MAX combination, you have the same restrictions/problems
running old apps as you would under just plain Windows/286.

What 386MAX does give you is the ability to load your TSR programs into
high memory (freeing more of your lower 640K for other things).  Using
a product called 386LOAD (also from Qualitas) you can also load device
drivers into high memory.  By high memory, I am referring to memory between
640K and 1Meg.

With my configuration (an NCR PC-916, EGA, 4Meg memory, Novell v2.12
over ARCNet, and the software to access an MS Programmer's library
CD-ROM through the network), I can have all my networking software
and CD-ROM software loaded and still have 540K of memory available
while sitting at a DOS prompt.

moss@ttidca.TTI.COM (Les Moss) (03/29/89)

I use MS Windows 286 with 386 MAX on a 386 clone. I have to do this because
Sigma Designs does not yet have a 386 driver for my Laserview monitor.
This setup works well but Windows 386 gives better support for standard
DOS applications.
--
Les Moss
Citicorp TTI