[comp.windows.ms] Does anyone know of a Windows-compatible screen blanker?

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (03/26/89)

I'd like to be able to leave my computer for a few minutes without having to
remember to turn off the monitor or risk burn-in of the screen.  However, my
experience is that most screen blankers hook into INT 9 to detect keystrokes
-- and they don't work with Windows as a result.

Does anyone know of a screen blanker which *does* work with Windows?  If it
matters (it probably does...) I have a Hercules-compatible display -- but
I'd also like to be able to use it on an IBM PS/2-50 VGA and on a Wyse 700
display on an AT386-type machine.

Please mail responses and I'll summarize if there's sufficient interest.

Thanks in advance,
++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

beckman@dev386.UUCP (Zacharias Beckman) (03/28/89)

In article <13505@ncoast.ORG>, allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
> I'd like to be able to leave my computer for a few minutes without having to
> remember to turn off the monitor or risk burn-in of the screen.  However, my
> experience is that most screen blankers hook into INT 9 to detect keystrokes
> -- and they don't work with Windows as a result.

There is a utility for Windows which performs screen blanking, among other
things.  Here is a summary of some of the features:

    * menu customization
    * no need to change directories all the time
    * nice, on-screen digital clock
    * customizes your environment (window size, etc.) and remembers it
    * window arranging and locating

It does quite a bit more, too.  Contact Wilson Windowware, 3377 59th SW,
Seattle, WA 96116, or call 206-937-9335.  It is available on Compuserve, also.
The product is shareware, with a fee of $35.00.

Zacharias Beckman.

jerryd@hpgrla.HP.COM (Jerry Donovan) (03/29/89)

Here is the "DOC" file from a shareware program that I think does
what you want.  I don't use it, because I've decided that I don't
care for screen blanker programs, however it is interesting
anyway.

----

	FIREWORKS -- A Screen saver program for Microsoft Windows
	(c) 1988-1989 Kim Levitt -- Synergistic Enterprises
	version 4.30 -- 02/25/89

The enclosed program FIREWORK.EXE and it's accompanying dynamic link
library file FIRELIB.EXE together make up a program for Windows which
will blank out your screen after a specified interval of time and display
a fireworks simulation to let you know your computer hasn't "died" and
to entertain you. (It was inspired by a similar screen blanker for the
Macintosh known as "Pyro".) (WIN87EM.EXE is included for those who lack
this dynamic link library which is needed for Windows programs which can
use 8087/80287/80387 math chips if present. Note that you need WIN87EM.EXE
whether or not you have a math chip in your system.)

This version (v4.30) includes a couple of fixes for bugs that occured
when using Fireworks with Excel. One bug would crash Windows if you were
running the Excel tutorial or feature guide and Fireworks blanked the screen.
The other bug prevented Excel's graphing feature from working properly
on some systems when Fireworks was running. The same bug fix may also
allow Fireworks to work properly on some systems on which it did not work
properly before.

A new feature added to v4.30 includes the ability to turn the automatic
blanking on and off. To turn blanking off, you hold down the ALT key and
press the keypad minus key. To turn auto blanking back on, enter ALT and
the keypad plus key. This is for temporary disabling of the auto blanking
only. You can still set the delay time to 0 to disable auto blanking
completely.

Fireworks v4.30 also now compensates for the aspect ratio of systems (such
as EGA) which do not have square pixels. This gives the fireworks better
shapes on such systems.

To install Fireworks, copy all 3 EXE's to your WINDOWS subdirectory. Edit
your WIN.INI file LOAD= line to include FIREWORK. When you start windows,
Fireworks will appear as an icon at the bottom of the screen. Double click on
it to open the window and choose "Setup  Screen Save Delay..." to specify
the number of minutes of system inactivity you want Fireworks to wait before
blanking out the screen. Then use "Alt-Spacebar N" to restore Fireworks to
an icon. (Fireworks will only autoblank the screen when running as an icon.)

Fireworks will not blank while there is keyboard activity or a mouse button
is being pressed. It uses Windows GDI calls to blank the screen and should
therefore work on any system running Windows. (No hardware specific code.)
(This also means however, that Fireworks will not work when full screen
"OldApps" are running.)

Fireworks will NOT blank out any windows you may have (like the one in
Command Post) which tries to keep itself visible. If you don't want the
Command Post clock to show up, set it off (so it displays the program name
and version number instead of the clock, (or with the latest version, so it
only shows minutes and not seconds).

In addition to the auto blanking feature, you can use a "hot key" to enable
blanking at any time. Simply press "Alt-Control" (NOT "Control-Alt" by the
way, which means "Control-Alt-Delete" will not cause the blanker to come on
when you are trying to reboot). When the blanking is enabled, no cursor is
visible. Press any key or a mouse button to disable blanking and Fireworks
will return to icon state.

When running in "normal mode" as a window, you may notice the cursor changes
into an airplane.. (Cute huh?) Try pressing a button...

Fireworks has only minimal system impact when running in icon state. It checks
for system inactivity only once every 5 seconds.

Fireworks is a shareware program. If you use it, please send a $5 registration
fee per copy to:

		Kim Levitt
		Synergistic Enterprises
		8033 Sunset Blvd. #975
		Los Angeles, CA 90046

(Checks can be made payable to either Kim Levitt or Synergistic Enterprises.)

						Enjoy!!
							-- Mr. Kim Levitt
							   02/25/89
---