[comp.windows.ms] Application development using Microsoft Windows

chow@iris.ucdavis.edu (John L. Chow) (04/04/89)

I am in the process of making the decision of using Microsoft
Windows as a standard user interface platform for all application
development under MSDOS.  However, I have heard mixed feelings about
MS Windows from a few people.  Some think that it is a very complex
windowing environment to program in.  Others don't think it is going
to be a industrial standard for PC DOS environment.  While some
like the predefined and consistent user interface environment, there
are others who think it is too limited and not flexible if you want
to create your own user interface environment.

Could some of you please give me your suggestion/advise based on your
experience with MS Windows?  In addition, I would also like to know:

1. What is the future of MS Windows as a standard for DOS?
2. What are the best reference books on programming MS Windows?
3. Any comments about Glockenspiel's CommonView using C++ for Windows
   programming?
4. How complex is it for a normal C programmer to learn and use it for
   a major program development?  Is taking a class to learn about MS
   Windows a good idea?  Who offers the best class?
5. What are other alternatives (i.e., NewWave) if MS Windows is not
   recommended?

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions.

-- John Chow
   chow@iris.ucdavis.edu

pdavid@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Paul C. David) (04/05/89)

In article <3884@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> chow@iris.ucdavis.edu (John L. Chow) writes:
>I am in the process of making the decision of using Microsoft
>1. What is the future of MS Windows as a standard for DOS?
	This borders on being a religious issue.  From a
	stylistic point of view, it is said to be very
	similar to the OS/2 Presentation Manager development
	environment.  There are even software tools to
	help out on this.
>2. What are the best reference books on programming MS Windows?
	Definitely "Programming Windows" by Petzold.
	Brought to you by the folks at Microsoft Press.
>3. Any comments about Glockenspiel's CommonView using C++ for Windows
>   programming?
	Rumbling are that Microsoft will support it.
	Also that porting to a different windowing
	environment is a matter of setting a new flag at
	compile time.  So far X-Windows and NeWS are
	supported.  Many feel that Macintosh will follow
	suit (no pun intended).
>4. How complex is it for a normal C programmer to learn and use it for
>   a major program development?  Is taking a class to learn about MS
>   Windows a good idea?  Who offers the best class?
	If you've got the money, Microsoft University
	puts out a series of videos, with workbooks.
	Otherwise, unless UCD teaches a class in
	Windowing Environments, you may get by just
	studying Petzold'd book.  Experience in any
	Windowing system will give you a head start.
--
Paul C. David		pdavid@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
California Polytechic State University, San Luis Obispo