[comp.windows.ms] Vector fonts

gmiller@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Gary Miller) (04/04/89)

I am trying to use vector rather than raster fonts in a Windows application.
The books I have (Petzold etc.) say that when using CreateFont(), nCharSet must
be set to OEM_CHARSET to get a vector font, since all the vector fonts are OEM
charset fonts.  But when I use OEM_CHARSET, my text gets displayed as all underscores; e. g. "Node 1" comes out as "______."  I am using TextOut to display the text.  Does anybody know why this happens or how to get vector fonts?  I want them because give more control over the size (I need for the letters to come out
very small).  Any help would be appreciated.

dick@venera.isi.edu (Richard Gillmann) (04/06/89)

In article <342@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM> gmiller@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM writes:
>I am trying to use vector rather than raster fonts in a Windows application.
>The books I have (Petzold &c) say that when using CreateFont(), nCharSet must
>be set to OEM_CHARSET to get a vector font, since all the vector fonts are OEM
>charset fonts.  But when I use OEM_CHARSET, my text gets displayed as all
>underscores; e. g. "Node 1" comes out as "______."

Sounds like you are basically on the right track.  Be sure to specify a
vector font family when you create the font.  The vector fonts are Roma
n,
Modern and Script.  The other fonts are bit maps only.  Also, I think you
would find that using CreateFontIndirect is a little easier.

Richard Gillmann