[comp.windows.ms] EPS from Windows or PM?

jxh@cup.portal.com (Jim - Hickstein) (03/30/89)

HELP!  I have been trying to get .EPS files (Encapsulated Postscript)
created for a manual I'm editing so I can use Sprint to include them, but
my earlier leads to Publisher's Paintbrush (Z-Soft, Marietta, GA) seem
not to have been valid.  Now the same source (my boss, alas!) tells me
that "well, *some* program I used did it" but cannot pinpoint which one.
*sigh*
Anyway, I have Windows-386 as well as Windows V2.1 at my disposal, and I'd
like to get a straight answer from someone who knows for sure whether either
of these will, from the Windows-Paint program, produce actual EPS files.
If not, please give me a valid lead to another program I can get, preferably
for free and without human intervention (i.e. download it from someplace),
that will do this.  Is this stuff so new that I'm blazing a trail, here?
I hardly think so, but someone please set me straight.
I have used up my strategic lead time laboring under a false assumption,
and my deadline draws near, so PLEASE HELP!  PANIC! PANIC! :-(

Forgive me if this is a duplication of recent traffic: Portal just now
*finally* moved this group off of the list of groups to add to the list of
groups to add to the list of groups onto the list of groups I can use. :-)
*sigh, again*.

Thanks for timely help, ye netlanders. All praise!

-Jim Hickstein
jxh@cup.portal.com
...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!jxh

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (04/03/89)

>Anyway, I have Windows-386 as well as Windows V2.1 at my disposal, and I'd
>like to get a straight answer from someone who knows for sure whether either
>of these will, from the Windows-Paint program, produce actual EPS files.

I too am interested in this. I think I know the answer (NO) but
I am not positive. I would take plain postscript files. I have been
unable to figure out a way to make either Windows Write or
Windows Paint to a file period. Is it possible?

Doug McDonald

brent@well.UUCP (Brent Southard) (04/03/89)

I admit to unfamiliarity with PostScript, but if an EPS (Encapsulated
PostScript) file is merely a text file of PS commands, then I think your
solution is simple.  First, you should edit your WIN.INI file, under the
[ports] section.  Add the line "filename.eps=", omitting quotes.  Now you
can choose your filename as the output device, and the PostScript printer
driver as your Windows printer via the control panel.  Simply use your
application, whatever it may be, and the printer output (PS syntax) will be
redirected to the file selected.  It seems to work for me, but I don't have
access to a PS printer to do a complete test.

good luck,
brent

--
Brent Southard, ImageTech Corp.   |  Everybody's trying to be a friend of mine,
Usenet:  ...well!brent            |  Even a dog can shake hands. - W. Zevon

c-mikema@microsoft.UUCP (Michael Mans-freelance) (04/05/89)

In article <245400016@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>>Anyway, I have Windows-386 as well as Windows V2.1 at my disposal, and I'd
>>like to get a straight answer from someone who knows for sure whether either
>>of these will, from the Windows-Paint program, produce actual EPS files.
>
>I too am interested in this. I think I know the answer (NO) but
>I am not positive. I would take plain postscript files. I have been
>unable to figure out a way to make either Windows Write or
>Windows Paint to a file period. Is it possible?
>
>Doug McDonald

No, Write and Paint will not print eps files (actually it depends on
the PostScript driver you have installed). Since I only know about
the current Microsoft driver, I can't say for certain in your case.
If you have another driver, it may let you print EPS to a file.

	Write and Paint will print pure postscript via the driver.
All you have to do is put a filename (say "output.prn") in the win.ini
file under [ports]. (I believe this is the correct header, but if
not, the correct one will have a comment telling you how to do it
associated with it in the file). Now add a postcript printer via the
control pannel (you need the .prn) and connect it to "output.prn"
again via the control panel. When you print from your application,
it goes through the postscript driver and into the file "output.prn

I hope this helps.

Michael:	c-mikema@microsoft.UUCP

NOT an official statement from the big MS.

jxh@cup.portal.com (Jim - Hickstein) (04/06/89)

An update:

I bought Micrografx Designer, recommended by several people (thank you), and
have been creating satisfactory EPSF files, complete with the binary "table
of contents" at the front, which I must strip off manually before Borland
Sprint will include it.  No, Windows Paint evidently does not produce EPSF
files, but it can write a PS job to a file using the method given in another
article, using a line in WIN.INI.

The EPSF specification I was screaming for (sorry about the noise) was kindly
mailed to me by Glenn C. Reid of Adobe Systems (and my printer subsequently
emitted a very nice document: THIS IS GREAT!), although I later spotted a note
from some kind soul who gave directions on how to tap ps-file-server@adobe to
get these things without the intervention of the author.  Now I have to try
to get an index out of it to see what else I want...

Thanks to all who responded for another satisfactory justification of my
net access.

-Jim Hickstein
VSAT Systems, Inc
San Jose, CA