[comp.windows.ms] MS windows and logitech mice

phil@diablo.amd.com (04/21/89)

I just got a Seiko 1430 monitor and Orchid Prodesigner which will do
up to 1024 by 768. Of course, this is a non-standard mode and you need
special drivers.  One way to take advantage of this seemed to be to
run MS windows, since the Orchid came with a windows driver.

When installing MS windows 2.1 (which is a royal pain if you want to
change anything about your configuration), I put in the special Orchid
driver and windows itself seems to work fine.

However, my Logitech serial mouse only works for a short time and then
the machine seems to become deaf to the mouse. I have tried both the
standard MS windows logitech mouse driver and the logitech software,
including their mouse.com, their mouse.sys and their lmouse.drv,
individually. (i.e., not all at once)

Before spending a lot of time trying to talk to customer support, does
anyone have any ideas about this? This mouse has worked flawlessly
with MS Word and Orcad, and I also swapped with a mouse that is known
to work with windows on a different machine. (I don't know how windows
was installed on the working machine. It has a nonstandard controller
on it so I can't just copy the software.) The mouse is on com1.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"In California, the reward for saving water is a lower quota."

brent@well.UUCP (Brent Southard) (04/26/89)

In article <25310@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.amd.com () writes:
>However, my Logitech serial mouse only works for a short time and then
>the machine seems to become deaf to the mouse.

I have the same problem with my Logitech mouse.  I have the feeling that
Windows' driver for the Logitech is faulty, or that there is a problem with
Logitech's mouse driver.  When this happens, I exit Windows, execute MOUSE,
and return to Windows.  The mouse is re-enabled at this point.

	brent
--
brent southard  (313) 656-8349   |   oh mona mona
ImageTech Corp  (313) 362-3142   |   you can close your eyes
                                 |   i've got a twelve gauge surprise
usenet:  ...!well!brent          |   waiting for you             -- James Taylor

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (04/28/89)

In article <11424@well.UUCP> brent@well.UUCP (Brent Southard) writes:
|In article <25310@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.amd.com () writes:
|>However, my Logitech serial mouse only works for a short time and then
|>the machine seems to become deaf to the mouse.
|
|I have the same problem with my Logitech mouse.  I have the feeling that
|Windows' driver for the Logitech is faulty, or that there is a problem with
|Logitech's mouse driver.  When this happens, I exit Windows, execute MOUSE,
|and return to Windows.  The mouse is re-enabled at this point.

Yeah, I don't consider this an acceptable mode of operation. To make a
long story short, I tried to talk to the tech support department of
all three of the companies involved, Microsoft, Orchid, and Logitech.
Microsoft was easily available and disclaimed any responsibility after
I told them Windows worked with the MS VGA driver but not the custom
Orchid 1024x768 driver. Orchid had to look up something and told me
that I needed a new mouse driver from Logitech. Logitech's bulletin
board didn't seem to have anything applicable. I tried to call their
tech support line and it was always busy. So I gave up and got a
Microsoft mouse.

IT WORKS!

Down with Logitech's products and their lack of support!
(how hard can it be to do a mouse driver? what a pack of fools!)

Now I'm writing a nasty letter to the president of Logitech.