[comp.windows.ms] Programming Windows Help

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (04/20/89)

Hello,

I am planning to learn programming for the MS Windows environment, and I was
wondering if Microsoft C 5.2 was the only compiler that supports this. In
particular, can I simply buy Quick C to program? Are there other third party
compilers?

I have the complete Turbo Languages (latest releases), but apparently I can't
use these. I heard that one needs the Windows.H file, and one can only get
that with MS C 5.1 or later. Is there a way around this?

Any comments and general pointers will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Milan.

mikek@ziebmef.uucp (Mike King) (04/28/89)

In article <246400005@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I am planning to learn programming for the MS Windows environment, and I was
>wondering if Microsoft C 5.2 was the only compiler that supports this. In
>particular, can I simply buy Quick C to program? Are there other third party
>compilers?

I understand that there is a Modula 2 compiler that supports Windows out there.
I don't know if I would recommend programming for Windows in anything other
than MS C 5.x.  The compiler puts some very wierd stuff into the object code
to make it multitask-able.  Also you must have the MS linker LINK4 and some
Windows binaries like the Resource Compiler and Icon Editor.
  You can however program in MS assembler or MS Pascal for Windows if you like.
Although my contacts who are going that route tell me it's difficult and not
well supported by MS.