[comp.windows.ms] MicroGrafx Mirrors

mikec@ux1.lbl.gov (Mike Chin) (04/29/89)

Anybody using MicroGrafix Mirrors? I've been trying
to get their beta release to work with ver 1.06 of
MS OS/2 w/o success, even for their own "life" example.
It also failed on some very simple programs of
my own.

It seems to convert the .def OK, but gives errors when
doing the .rc. Linking the suspect .res proceeds w/o
any error messages, but trying to run the program gives
a "protection violation error".

mike chin
Lawrence Berkeley Labs
MJChin@lbl.gov

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (05/01/89)

<
<It seems to convert the .def OK, but gives errors when
<doing the .rc. Linking the suspect .res proceeds w/o
<any error messages, but trying to run the program gives
<a "protection violation error".
<
<mike chin
<Lawrence Berkeley Labs
<MJChin@lbl.gov

As MicroGrafix is our direct compeditor this comment may be biased,
however I have heard this from numerous sources.
"Mirrors is sloooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww!"

Ok now that I have gotten that out of the way, the protection violations
may not be due to Mirrors, it may be due to your own product.
One of the first things you find out from porting software from and
un-protected to a protected enviroment is ... all of the nill or bad
pointers used. Mirrors will not take care of this for you, you have to.
I would really try to port the software directly to PM, it's not really as
dificult as it looks and it will definitly be faster.. much faster. I hope
you didn't spend too much money on Mirrors, you could have spent it on
porting your app to PM.

				Jack Hudler

--
* OS2, what DOS should have been!

eav@hpindda.HP.COM (Eugene Veteska) (05/02/89)

> As MicroGrafix is our direct compeditor this comment may be biased,
> however I have heard this from numerous sources.
> "Mirrors is sloooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww!"
>
> Ok now that I have gotten that out of the way, the protection violations
> may not be due to Mirrors, it may be due to your own product.
> One of the first things you find out from porting software from and
> un-protected to a protected enviroment is ... all of the nill or bad
> pointers used. Mirrors will not take care of this for you, you have to.
> I would really try to port the software directly to PM, it's not really as
> dificult as it looks and it will definitly be faster.. much faster. I hope
> you didn't spend too much money on Mirrors, you could have spent it on
> porting your app to PM.
>
> 				Jack Hudler

I'm looking into porting a Windows app to PM.  What other products
are out there for converting besides Mirrors ?  Any other opinions/info
about Mirrors and if it's easier or better to just do the port by hand
(Our program is fairly large (~30KLOC)) ? Thanks !!

Eugene Veteska
HP Cupertino, IND
eav@hpda.HP.com