[comp.windows.ms] Windows/386 from batch files

pa1022@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (Eric Hedstrom) (05/02/89)

A few months ago I posted a question asking why my Windows/386 crashes when
I try to print from any programs loaded under it.  Tonight I finally decided
to narrow down the cause, and found it: when I run Windows/386 from a batch
file and then try to print, it crashes.  If I run it straight from the
DOS prompt, it works fine.  Windows/286 works fine either way.  Any
speculation why this is so?

Eric

--
  Eric Hedstrom                      |  P.O. Box 4563            |  Wiggy
  Internet: pa1022@iugrad2.ucsd.edu  |  La Jolla, CA 92037-0999  |    wiggy!

beckman@dev386.UUCP (Zacharias Beckman) (05/04/89)

In article <1483@sdcc15.ucsd.edu>, pa1022@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (Eric Hedstrom) writes:
> to narrow down the cause, and found it: when I run Windows/386 from a batch
> file and then try to print, it crashes.  If I run it straight from the
> DOS prompt, it works fine.  Windows/286 works fine either way.  Any

We run Windows/386 from a batch file (MSDOS 3.3) all the time here, without any
problems.  Perhaps you need a newer version of DOS, or perhaps the problem has
been midiagnosed...

pa1022@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (Eric Hedstrom) (05/06/89)

In article <448@dev386.UUCP> beckman@dev386.UUCP (Zacharias Beckman) writes:
>In article <1483@sdcc15.ucsd.edu>, I write:
>> to narrow down the cause, and found it: when I run Windows/386 from a batch
>> file and then try to print, it crashes.  If I run it straight from the
>> DOS prompt, it works fine.  Windows/286 works fine either way.  Any
>
>We run Windows/386 from a batch file (MSDOS 3.3) all the time here, without any
>problems.  Perhaps you need a newer version of DOS, or perhaps the problem has
>been midiagnosed...

I have PC-DOS 3.3 and Windows/386 2.1.  I don't think the problem has been
misdiagnosed, because the crashes depended only on whether Windows was run
from a batch file.  Nothing else had any effect.

--
  Eric Hedstrom                      |  P.O. Box 4563            |  Wiggy
  Internet: pa1022@iugrad2.ucsd.edu  |  La Jolla, CA 92037-0999  |    wiggy!
   "It's real plastic, so don't settle for imitation!" - WKRP in Cincinnati

beckman@dev386.UUCP (Zacharias Beckman) (05/09/89)

Regarding Windows crashing when started from a batch file:  Perhaps your
problem is that you are using PC-DOS 3.3, rather than MS-DOS 3.3.  As I have
stated before, we have no problem with this under MS-DOS.  Personally, I've
never thought much of IBM's versions of MS-DOS.  It seems that when they get
their hands on a version of MS-DOS they mess it up (i.e.: PC-DOS 3.2 had over
21 new bugs in it, while the MS-DOS version had only a few).