[comp.windows.ms] Fonts and screen resolution

adam@cfi.COM (adam) (05/10/89)

We have written a Windows application that draws a fair amount of text,
and does it in several different sizes, styles, and faces.  It looks great
on our AT with an EGA display.  However, when we run it on other machines
(i.e. a '386 running Windows/386 and a VGA, and a zenith laptop with a
mono CGA) the fonts come out in unexpected sizes and styles.  This is
especially distressing when it happpens to items like the values on our
graph axes.

Question: Is there a way to select and use fonts which will preserve port-
ability between displays?

Currently, I'm using the MM_TEXT map mode, and getting the fonts I want by
partially populating a LOGFONT struct and using CreateFontIndirect().

Also, in what is probably a related problem, I have found that if I start
my application, then bring up Excel, and then put Excel away, when my
application redisplays it shows only garbage (black splotches where the
text should be) for certain of my fonts.  This does not go away when I
cause a repaint of the screen; only re-running my app will fix this.
Any suggestions?

"Yes ma'am, I do Windows."
--
Adam Marx, The Consumer Financial Institute, Waltham, MA 617-899-6500
{decvax!yale|allegra|ihnp4|ucbvax!cbosgd}!ima!cfisun!adam

cig@genrad.com (Charles I. Ganimian Jr.) (05/17/89)

In article <499@cfisun.UUCP> adam@cfi.COM (Adam Marx -CFI-) writes:
>We have written a Windows application that draws a fair amount of text,
>and does it in several different sizes, styles, and faces.  It looks great
>on our AT with an EGA display.  However, when we run it on other machines
>(i.e. a '386 running Windows/386 and a VGA, and a zenith laptop with a
>mono CGA) the fonts come out in unexpected sizes and styles.  This is
>especially distressing when it happpens to items like the values on our
>graph axes.
>
>Question: Is there a way to select and use fonts which will preserve port-
>ability between displays?

	I would also like to know how to do this.

>Currently, I'm using the MM_TEXT map mode, and getting the fonts I want by
>partially populating a LOGFONT struct and using CreateFontIndirect().
>

>Also, in what is probably a related problem, I have found that if I start
>my application, then bring up Excel, and then put Excel away, when my
>application redisplays it shows only garbage (black splotches where the
>text should be) for certain of my fonts.  This does not go away when I
>cause a repaint of the screen; only re-running my app will fix this.
>Any suggestions?
>
>"Yes ma'am, I do Windows."

The problem is that for some reason excel (and some other appps) will
leave you in a state where you end up with the "PREVIEW" font, instead
of the font you had.  I had the same problem using the system font in
my app, what I had to do was to make sure I selected the system font
every time I got a font and not ASSumed that I would get it.

Oh well just another week burned away...

					good luck

					charlie g.

p.s. to check if I was right check to see what font you have, I forget
     the function but I think it is GetTextFace