[comp.windows.ms] Porting from Windows to PM

andy@garnet.berkeley.edu (Andy Lieberman) (05/19/89)

I have heard conflicting stories about how hard it is to port between
Windows and Presentation Manager.  Someone told me it was no problem, the
toolkit calls were all about the same, just with different names.  Someone
else told methe two toolkits were very different.  I also heard something
about a C compiler that will allow me to develop for both at the same time.
(I'm planning to use uSoft 5.1 w/Codeview).

Also, from a user interface point of view, does PM provide any major
advantages over Windows/386?

Please e-mail all facts/opinions and I will post a summary if there is
sufficient interest.

Thanks in Advance,
Andy Lieberman
Library Systems Office
UC Berkeley

rhoda@mercury.sybase.com (05/19/89)

> Andy Lieberman writes:
>
> I have heard conflicting stories about how hard it is to port between
> Windows and Presentation Manager.  Someone told me it was no problem, the
> toolkit calls were all about the same, just with different names.  Someone
> else told methe two toolkits were very different.  I also heard something
> about a C compiler that will allow me to develop for both at the same time.
> (I'm planning to use uSoft 5.1 w/Codeview).

> Also, from a user interface point of view, does PM provide any major
> advantages over Windows/386?

> Please e-mail all facts/opinions and I will post a summary if there is
> sufficient interest.

I urge people to POST their facts/opinions.  Isn't that what this
newsgroup is for?  (If I'm wrong please tell me ... I know you will :-)

"I didn't want to, Jim"		Mr. Spock in _This Side Of Paradise_

Rhoda Neimand
rhoda@sybase.com
{sun,lll-tis,pyramid,pacbell}!sybase!rhoda