they changed the name, 386 laptops would still be too heavy and pricey.
From: mcmillan@boa.cis.ohio-state.edu (Harold McMillan)

-=-
Hal McMillan                          |
mcmillan@cis.ohio-state.edu           |   "Open the pod bay doors, HAL".
CompuServe 72627,642                  |

bobh@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Bob Headrick) (05/13/89)

Why did Microsoft change the name to Windows/286?  Because no one would
have the patience to run it on anything slower...

Bob Headrick
hpda!bobh
<<my opinions are not shared by anyone>>

yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) (05/13/89)

In article <48213@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Harold McMillan <mcmillan@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>the minimum acceptable platform upon which to run Windows/286.  If you have
>ever run it on an 8088 (I have) I think you would agree.  Besides, even if
>they changed the name, 386 laptops would still be too heavy and pricey.
>
>Hal McMillan

Yes, but I'm getting a NEC ProSpeed 286 and it would have been nice if
Windows/286 did as it's name would have one think.

PS:  I've run Windows/286 on a 8MHz 8086 box (att 6300) and it wasn't so
     bad.

Davin

paulc@microsoft.UUCP (Paul Canniff 2/1011) (05/16/89)

In article <89May12.000432edt.19614@me.utoronto.ca> yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) writes:
>Okay.  I give up.  Why did Micro Soft (skull) call windows/286 what they
>did when the beast doesn't use the protected mode of the 286 to provide
>pre-emptive multitasking?  It runs just the same on a '86 machine?

To differentiaite it from Win386, of course.

>This is truly annoying (hence the mind flame).  For my purposes 'cuz
>the '386 laptops are too heavy and pricey.

Ouch!  I hate mind flames, they really hurt.  Would you be happier if
I attached helium balloons to the 386 for you?

>They should change the name, it's misleading.
>
>Peaved.
>
>PS:  Isn't there a law against this?

No, you can post anything you want, no matter how trivial.

By the way, how does WordPerfect get away with selling a word
processor that isn't perfect?  Very misleading in my book. And
did you know you have to by a PRINTER to even use the darn thing!
Cost me a lot more money than I first thought it would, by the
time you buy that sort of accessory.  None of the reviewers
caught this either.  Sheesh!

DISCLAIMER:
These are my opinions, not those of Microsoft.  Flame via email.
That way, half of it won't go through, and my email reader is much
more powerful than RN, so I can filter the junk easier.  Thanks.

philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil Barrett) (05/16/89)

In several articles, people raised objections to calling it Microsoft
Windows/286.  The basic gist of the complaint(s) is that since it doesn't
use *any* features of the 286, its false advertising.

MS Windows/286 Versions 2.10 and 2.11 (current version) *do* use features
of the 286.  While it does not run in protected mode, it does take advantage of the the first 64K of extended memory for the resident portion of User.
This yields some significant performance improvements in several specific
cases since it increases the memory available to MS Windows applications
by 10% to 20%.  In addition, drivers are included to use extended memory for a
RAMDrive and disk caching. Granted, this doesn't take 100% advantage of the 286
but the statement "doesn't use at all" isn't true either.  No false
advertising ...

Phil Barrett
Microsoft Corp

Of course, the above opinions are mine and are not representitive of
Microsoft Corp

pwt@otter.hpl.hp.com (Peter Toft) (05/18/89)

I think that the name Windows/286 was chosen because this version of windows
was written to take sensible advantage of the 'High memory area'.  This is
64k of memory at the top of the 1Mb address space, which is obviously only
available to '286 processors and above, but which can be accessed by DOS if
an appropriate driver is used.

Windows/286 will run on 8086s, but Himem is unavailable, so it doesn't run as
well.

In order to use Himem on 286/386 machines, you obviously need some memory in the
1Mb plus range (i.e. extended memory).

Peter Toft,				ARPANET	pwt@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories, 		JANET	pwt@lb.hp.co.uk
Filton Road,				UUCP	...!mcvax!ukc!hplb!pwt
Stoke Gifford,				CSNET	pwt%hplb.csnet@relay.cs.net
Bristol.				HPdesk	Peter TOFT / HPC600 / 05
BS12 6QZ.				Phone	UK (0272) 799910 ext 24245
United Kingdom.					Int'l +44 272 799910 ext 24245

".....my opinions are my own, etc. etc...."

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (05/20/89)

As quoted from <5723@microsoft.UUCP> by paulc@microsoft.UUCP (Paul Canniff 2/1011):
+---------------
| In article <89May12.000432edt.19614@me.utoronto.ca> yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) writes:
| >Okay.  I give up.  Why did Micro Soft (skull) call windows/286 what they
| >did when the beast doesn't use the protected mode of the 286 to provide
| >pre-emptive multitasking?  It runs just the same on a '86 machine?
|
| To differentiaite it from Win386, of course.
| >PS:  Isn't there a law against this?
|
| No, you can post anything you want, no matter how trivial.
+---------------

(miscellaneous bleating deleted)

Every time I start to regain some faith in the Usenet, some jerk comes along
and flames it away.  Sigh.

It's called "Windows/286" because it's Microsoft's contention that an 8088
doesn't have the speed to run it properly.

I tried it on an 8088 once.  Guess what?  They're right.  It's faster to do
it with pencil and paper.

If you want to multitask an 8088, use Desqview or something else that
isn't a graphics environment.  Graphics is *always* the killer.  (The machines
that avoid this have blitters or similar dedicated graphics hardware:  Suns,
Atari ST, Amiga (I think), Next, etc.  [And, for the curious:  the Mac
*doesn't*.  Which is why Apple is pushing 68030 boxes now.])

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu