[comp.windows.ms] Windows/286 Crash with Expanded Memory

schwartz@dinl.uucp (Michael Schwartz) (05/17/89)

I have been using / developing with Windows/286 happily (for the most
part).  I decided to increase my expanded memory in my AboveBoard 286 to
1 MB.  Windows now crashes upon load of any application.  All other
applications which use expanded memory work just fine, and yes, I have
run the TESTAB program 20 times on the chips.  When launched with an
initial program, I get the message
  Internal stack overflow
  System Halted

Has anyone seen this kind of problem before? What should I look at to
try to solve it?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Michael
--
Michael Schwartz
ncar!dinl!schwartz

andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (05/18/89)

In article <1019@dinl.mmc.UUCP> schwartz@dinl.uucp (Michael Schwartz) writes:
>I decided to increase my expanded memory in my AboveBoard 286 to
>1 MB.  Windows now crashes upon load of any application.

When I got this, I eventually solved the problem by reinstalling Windows
over the existing copy.  I did take the precaution of backing up the pif
files I had altered, and all back copies of win.ini; other than that,
the reinstallation didn't trash anything, and it did solve the crash
problem.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (or @nosc.mil, @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

ralphl@microsoft.UUCP (Ralph Lipe 2/2117) (05/24/89)

In article <1019@dinl.mmc.UUCP> schwartz@dinl.uucp (Michael Schwartz) writes:
>I have been using / developing with Windows/286 happily (for the most
>part).  I decided to increase my expanded memory in my AboveBoard 286 to
>1 MB.  Windows now crashes upon load of any application.  All other
>applications which use expanded memory work just fine, and yes, I have
>run the TESTAB program 20 times on the chips.  When launched with an
>initial program, I get the message
>  Internal stack overflow
>  System Halted

This is due to DOS running out of internal stacks.  You should try
including the line "STACKS=0,0" in your config.sys file for DOS 3.21 and
above.	This will turn off the DOS stack switching code.  If that dosen't
work or you use DOS 3.1 you will need to create more stacks.  Try
"STACKS=15,256".  This is documented in the MS DOS 4.01 manual on page
296.

I'm not sure why an expanded memory card would cause a stack overflow
but that message is printed when DOS runs out of interrupt stacks.

...This is my opinion.	This is not official Microsoft support information.