[comp.windows.ms] 800x600 for Windows/386 anyone?

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/05/89)

Hello

I just got my 386 machine with 800x600 vga; they provided a driver for
Windows/286 but their (ORCHID) BBS says they still don't have one for
Windows/386. Does any VGA card manufacturer provide a 800x600 driver for
Windows/386? I have an option to send my card back within 30 days, so any
response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Milan
mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
.

bobh@hpcuhb.HP.COM (Bob Headrick) (06/07/89)

The Video 7 VGA has a drivers for 800x600 and 720x540 WIN/386 and also
up to 1024x768 WIN/286.  (this was from a card I got ~ a year ago - they
may have even more drivers now.)  The high resolution modes are
non-interlaced.

Bob Headrick
...hplabs!hpda!bobh

< #include_standard_disclaimer >

brent@well.UUCP (Brent Southard) (06/07/89)

Paradise has an 800x600 Windows/386 driver available on their bulletin
board.  This driver is for their VGA Plus card.  I haven't been able to try
it since I have a strictly VGA-capable monitor.  You can reach Paradise's
BBS at (415) 968-1834.

Isn't it going to be fun when Windows 3.0 comes out and everyone will have
to write their drivers all over again?

brent

--
brent southard  (313) 656-8349   |   oh mona mona
ImageTech Corp  (313) 362-3141   |   you can close your eyes
                                 |   i've got a twelve gauge surprise
usenet:  ...!well!brent          |   waiting for you             -- James Taylor

markh@rtech.rtech.com (Mark Hanner) (06/09/89)

In article <12039@well.UUCP> brent@well.UUCP (Brent Southard) writes:
>Paradise has an 800x600 Windows/386 driver available on their bulletin
>board.  This driver is for their VGA Plus card.  ...

The driver does NOT work if you have an Intel 386/PC board, but seems to work
okay with other 386 systems. There is a special version of Windows/386 for
this beast, and this driver (as well as many others) doesn't work with it.
I have been bugging Paradise for a driver that works for this version, but
have gotten no response. If you have a 386/PC and a VGA Plus, please give
them a call and post a request for it.

cheers,
mark

--
markh@rtech.COM
"The two most common substances in the universe

moss@ttidca.TTI.COM (Les Moss) (06/09/89)

Genoa has 800x600 386 drivrs for their Super EGA and VGA cards.
I tried 800x600 with my Genoa Super EGA but didn't like it. The aspect
ration was wrong and characters were fuzzy (too small?). This was on a
NEC multisync I. Is anyone using 800x600 and like it? What monitor and
card are you using?

--
Les Moss
Citicorp TTI

ismach@ucsfccb..ucsf.edu (Richarc Ismach) (06/10/89)

I use a Paradise VGA plus card with a Sony multiscan monitor under
Windows 286 on an AT clone.  Using Paradise's driver, Windows runs at
800 x 600 resolution.  I did have some trouble with the Sony monitor:
the pincushion adjustment can't be set to make normal VGA and the higher
resolution 800 x 600 screens both be free of distortion.  I have
adjusted the monitor so that Windows looks good and plain VGA programs
look ok.  Other than this problem with the Sony monitor, I've been very
pleased.  The characters are smaller (same # of pixels crowded into a
smaller space), but readable; no smaller than a MacIntosh screen!  You
can always use a larger font.  I like being able to see more of an
Excel spreadsheet onscreen, or more lines in Ami, or more windows.  The
driver allows switching between 800 x 600 and plain VGA via WIN.INI,
so you don't need to re-install Windows to change.