[comp.windows.ms] Picture on the desktop

uucigj@sw1e.UUCP (3531]) (06/06/89)

I would like to know if it is possible to have a picture on the desktop
instead of just having a color?  I saw a picture in an interview with Mr
Duff (Actor) that looked like it had a picture in the background (behind
the windows).  What program is required to do this (if it is possible).

Gregg Jensen
<signature deleted>

roper@june.cs.washington.edu (Michael Roper) (06/07/89)

Gregg Jensen writes:

> I would like to know if it is possible to have a picture on the desktop
> instead of just having a color?  What program is required to do this
> (if it is possible).

hDC is releasing a product at the end of June that will do this and
much more -- called Windows Manager.  Besides allowing the user to
paste a bitmap (color or monochrome) into the desktop, it also has
a pattern editor that can be used in lieu of a bitmap.  This is but
a tiny part of what Windows Manager can do.  And yes, I'm related.

Michael Roper
hDC Computer Corp.

eav@hpindda.HP.COM (Eugene Veteska) (06/08/89)

> hDC is releasing a product at the end of June that will do this and
> much more -- called Windows Manager.  Besides allowing the user to
> paste a bitmap (color or monochrome) into the desktop, it also has
> a pattern editor that can be used in lieu of a bitmap.  This is but
> a tiny part of what Windows Manager can do.  And yes, I'm related.
>
> Michael Roper
> hDC Computer Corp.
> ----------

Care to do a little advertising?? What else does Window Manager do ??
Just curious.

Eugene Veteska
HP

roper@june.cs.washington.edu (Michael Roper) (06/08/89)

Eugene Veteska asks:

> What else does Windows Manager do?

I'll post a full description of Windows Manager to
comp.newprod (and a pointer to it in this group) when
it starts shipping at the end of June.  It could be
sooner though, since Windows Manager is making its
debut at PC-Expo next week.

Michael Roper
hDC Computer Corp.
Redmond, WA

c-mikema@microsoft.UUCP (Michael Mans-freelance) (06/13/89)

In article <8476@june.cs.washington.edu> roper@june.cs.washington.edu (Michael Roper) writes:
>Gregg Jensen writes:
>
>> I would like to know if it is possible to have a picture on the desktop
>> instead of just having a color?  What program is required to do this
>> (if it is possible).
>
>hDC is releasing a product at the end of June that will do this and
>much more -- called Windows Manager.  Besides allowing the user to
>paste a bitmap (color or monochrome) into the desktop, it also has
>a pattern editor that can be used in lieu of a bitmap.  This is but
>a tiny part of what Windows Manager can do.  And yes, I'm related.
>
>Michael Roper
>hDC Computer Corp.

Just a word of warning. there can be problems with having a bitmap
on the desktop if its not done correctly. Not to say that you didn't
of course, but as a warning to the people that do it on there own.
The Bitmap should be banded in and not remain resident so as not to
steal memory from other apps. also ideally the bitmap should be
loaded up in EMS memory and not paged in from disk. all pretty
obvious, but better safe than sorry.

All statements are of course my own, and Microsoft had nothing to do
with it.

Michael Bakkemo.