[comp.windows.ms] Expanded / Extended memory

harnyo@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (06/10/89)

Hi,

I have a few questions that may have been discussed before. I have 2.6 MB
memory on my 286 Compaq which supports LIM 3.2. I am also using Compaq
Dos 3.31.

	o Which type of memory should I configure for best performance ?
	  (Exp vs. Ext) ? I can have both of them.

	o In running WIndows 286, how do I make use of the extra memory
          to open more applications instead of converting all to cache
	  memory (using Smartdrive.sys). I read from the documentation
	  that it supports only LIM 4.0 ?

	o Will my above configuration be sufficient to run OS/2 with
	  presentation manager ? What about Unix ?

I would appreciate any pointers or suggestions. Thanks !!

Andy
harnyo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (06/12/89)

In article <11884@netnews.upenn.edu> harnyo@grad1.cis.upenn.edu () writes:

>	o Which type of memory should I configure for best performance ?
>	  (Exp vs. Ext) ? I can have both of them.
To swap processes in Windows you should use expanded memory.  Extended just
buys you 64K (Windows uses it for something that I havn't figured out yet).

>	o In running WIndows 286, how do I make use of the extra memory
>          to open more applications instead of converting all to cache
>	  memory (using Smartdrive.sys). I read from the documentation
>	  that it supports only LIM 4.0 ?
This is where life gets tricky.  You basically need large frame EMS to do this.
So, depending on what kind of memory you have in your system, you may or may
not be able to do this.  You didn't mention what kind of memory card you have
in your system, so I have no clue if it's large frame or not.  However, I can
tell you that the AST Rampage and the Intel Above Board + are large frame EMS.
Then comes backfilling.  To get the best results for process swapping you should
backfill your computer from 256K on.  This basically means that you tell your
computer that you have 256K on the motherboard (this needs to be set via
hardware switches) and then tell the expanded memory board to start at 256K
on the motherboard.
>	o Will my above configuration be sufficient to run OS/2 with
>	  presentation manager ? What about Unix ?
The configuration that works best for Windows won't work for OS/2.  In their
infinitly grand way of doing things, Windows uses expanded memory, OS2 uses
extended memory.  I'm not sure why Microsoft (or IBM?) did this, but that's
how it is.  I believe that Unix uses extended memory also.
--
"I place my faith in fools.  Self confidence, my friends call it."
					-Edgar Allen Poe

Patrick Deupree -> patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

bturner@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Turner) (06/14/89)

> The configuration that works best for Windows won't work for OS/2.  In their
> infinitly grand way of doing things, Windows uses expanded memory, OS2 uses
> extended memory.  I'm not sure why Microsoft (or IBM?) did this, but that's
> how it is.  I believe that Unix uses extended memory also.

The reason for this is that Windows is running under MS-DOS, and therefore in
real (8086) mode, while OS/2 is more of a "real" operating system, and uses the
protect mode of the '286.

Expanded memory allows hardware to bankswitch memory under the 1MB limit of
real mode, while extended memory IS protect-mode memory, above the 1MB limit.

(It also helps to consider the history of MSWindows -- when it was originally
to be released, the AT was not yet released...)

--Bill Turner (bturner@hp-pcd.hp.com)
HP Corvallis Information Systems

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (06/19/89)

> The configuration that works best for Windows won't work for OS/2.  In their
> infinitly grand way of doing things, Windows uses expanded memory, OS2 uses
> extended memory.  I'm not sure why Microsoft (or IBM?) did this, but that's
> how it is.  I believe that Unix uses extended memory also.

I must apologize for this posting that I made.  I came down a little bit hard
on the extended/expanded memory thing because I have to listen to customers
complain about the fact that extended memory doesn't buy them much in
Windows.  I guess it annoys me as well since I've got a PS/2 model 30/286 that
is almost impossible to set up with expanded memory (and it is impossible to
set it up the way that would work best).

I realize now, though, that extended is basically the best memory to use and
expanded was just a cludge that was necessary to get things working right on
non-protected mode machines.

--

donohoe@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.c.donohoe) (06/20/89)

In article <8729@chinet.chi.il.us>, patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) writes:
> > The configuration that works best for Windows won't work for OS/2.  In their
> > infinitly grand way of doing things, Windows uses expanded memory, OS2 uses
> > extended memory.  I'm not sure why Microsoft (or IBM?) did this, but that's
> > how it is.  I believe that Unix uses extended memory also.
> >
> I must apologize for this posting that I made.  I came down a little bit hard
> on the extended/expanded memory thing because I have to listen to customers
> complain about the fact that extended memory doesn't buy them much in
> Windows. . . .
> I realize now, though, that extended is basically the best memory to use and
> expanded was just a cludge that was necessary to get things working right on
> non-protected mode machines.
> Patrick Deupree -> patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

I am trying to use windows effectively in both an AT&T PC6300 as well as an
AT&T PC6386 WGS.  In the 6386 I have 3M of extended memory which I have
configured as 200k of Ramdrive, 400k of Smart Drive and the rest as plain
extended memory.  Windows 2.03 finds the extended memory with no problem and
appears to use it effectively (greedily?).  The Ramdrive appears to only be
used for temporary files; the cache appears to do a pretty good job of
buffering the hard disk as I keep it compacted.  Is there a different
configuration that might be more optimum?  Windows seems to be relatively slow
when I use a COMMAND window and run Dos programs, e.g. chkdsk.

                a 2 Mb
I have recently put^expanded memory into my 6300.  I have followed the Windows
1.03 manual in trying to set it up, but it does not seem to be effective.
In particular they indicate that a large Ramdrive is the best way to have
memory for swapping.  Again the Ramdrive seems to only be used for temporary
files.  I have both the Ramdrive that came with 1.03 and the Ramdrive for
Dos 3.3 and see no difference.  All of the applications (that came with
Windows) appear to stay resident in the lower 640K.  Also there seems to be a
lot of swapping activity with the hard disk, but I cannot find any temporary
files (using Norton Utilities) that were generated during the session.  Any
help in getting this configuration optimized would be appreciated.

An unrelated item is that there is a program called WIN86.EXE in the WIN/386
package.  Before I got extended memory I could not get WIN386.EXE to run
because of insufficient memory (I have since found out how to do so).  However,
WIN86 would run.  I believe that WIN86 is called by WIN386.  What additional
capabilities are made available by WIN386 and is WIN86 equivalent to WIN286?

Thanks for any information you can give me.  Please reply to one of the
Email addresses below unless you feel it is of general interest to the net.

Thanks again,

--
Doug Donohoe
Email: att!homxc!5113dcd Douglas_C_Donohoe@att.att.com    Phone: 201-949-5382