[comp.windows.ms] How do I write a printer driver?

adamb@tigger.colorado.edu (Adam 'Velvis' Beguelin) (06/29/89)

A few weeks ago I posted a message asking if anyone knew where
I could get a printer driver for an Imageswriter that would work
with MS windows/286.  Well I haven't gotten any responses so
I figure that I have to do it myself.  Does anyone know how to
go about writing a driver of this type?  Is there some sort
of specification as to exactly what it needs to do?  Can
I use Turbo C 2.0?  Do I have to buy some ungodly expensive
developer's system from Microsoft?

Suggestions and discussion would be greatly appreciated!

	Adam  -- Just a poor guy who wants to print...
Adam Beguelin 			Computer Science Department Box 430
adamb@boulder.Colorado.Edu		     University of Colorado
303/492-7906				      Boulder, CO 80309-430

brent@well.UUCP (Brent Southard) (06/30/89)

In article <9770@boulder.Colorado.EDU> adamb@tigger.colorado.edu (Adam 'Velvis' Beguelin) writes:
>A few weeks ago I posted a message asking if anyone knew where
>I could get a printer driver for an Imageswriter that would work
>with MS windows/286.  Well I haven't gotten any responses so
>I figure that I have to do it myself.

Good luck to you.

>Does anyone know how to
>go about writing a driver of this type?  Is there some sort
>of specification as to exactly what it needs to do?

Yes, it's called the Windows Device Driver Kit (DDK), and it is
available from Microsoft.  You must sign a non-disclosure
agreement to receive it.  The kit deals with all sorts of drivers
for Windows:  printer, video, mouse, etc.

>Can I use Turbo C 2.0?  Do I have to buy some ungodly expensive
>developer's system from Microsoft?

Well, yes, you need the SDK, but there is no charge for the DDK
itself.  You cannot use Turbo C, as far as I know.  Borland does
not seem too interested in getting in on the Windows developers
market.

	brent
--
brent southard  (313) 656-8349   |   oh mona mona
ImageTech Corp  (313) 362-3141   |   you can close your eyes
                                 |   i've got a twelve gauge surprise
usenet:  ...!well!brent          |   waiting for you             -- James Taylor

mregeste@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mark Regester) (06/30/89)

In article <9770@boulder.Colorado.EDU> adamb@tigger.colorado.edu (Adam 'Velvis' Beguelin) writes:
>A few weeks ago I posted a message asking if anyone knew where
>I could get a printer driver for an Imageswriter ....
>I figure that I have to do it myself.  Does anyone know how to
>go about writing a driver of this type? ......
>
>adamb@boulder.Colorado.Edu		     University of Colorado

I asked the same question several months ago.  I was, and still am,
looking for a printer driver for a C-Itoh 1550 printer.  Windows comes
with a driver for the 8510, 80 columns, but I need one for 132
columns.

I could not find a 132 column driver.  I talked with Microsoft and they
said I needed the "Device Driver Development Kit".  If you already own
the Software Developers Kit they will send you the device driver kit
at no charge.  All you have to do is sign some papers and it will be
on the way.

I don't have a developers kit so I did not send off for the device driver
kit, so I have no experience with it.

Good luck!!

--
Mark Regester Information Systems & Services, NCR E&M Wichita
 NCR:654-8340 <M.Regester@Wichita.NCR.COM>