[comp.windows.ms] Windows/386 and 8514?

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/25/89)

Hello.

I am considering the purchase of an IBM model 70. However, I would like to use
Windows/386 in a resolution higher than 640x480, like some of those clones with
cards like Paradise. Can I simply buy the 8514 monitor and expect Windows/386
to know about the higher resolution available, perhaps set it up or something?

Also, I would appreciate any information about clones that run Windows/386
in the higher resolution without too much of a problem. I just got burnt because
the Gateway 2000 machine I bought wouldn't even run Windows/386 at all. I am so
fed up with dealing with ignorant mail order bozos that I am willing to sign
over my bank account to BigBlue just to get some peace of mind.

I assume the Model 70 doesn't have too many compatibility problems!!!

Thanks,
Milan.
.

phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) (06/27/89)

>Also, I would appreciate any information about clones that run Windows/386
>in the higher resolution without too much of a problem. I just got burnt because
>the Gateway 2000 machine I bought wouldn't even run Windows/386 at all. I am so
>fed up with dealing with ignorant mail order bozos that I am willing to sign
>over my bank account to BigBlue just to get some peace of mind.

A friend of mine bought a Gateway 2000 386-25 several months ago and has
been quite pleased with it.  In addition, it DOES run Windows/386 with no
difficulty.  The few problems that he had were solved quickly and
efficiently by Gateway, and he said he would not hesitate to buy another
system from them.  (Incidentally, he uses the system primarily for
database management and accounting software development using Clipper.)

I have no connection with Gateway 2000, except that I am considering
buying a system from them.

--
                        John Miller  (ecsvax!phco)
                        Dept. of Pharmacology, Univ. of N.C.-Chapel Hill

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (06/28/89)

In article <246400016@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> I am considering the purchase of an IBM model 70. However, I would like to use
> Windows/386 in a resolution higher than 640x480, like some of those clones with
> cards like Paradise. Can I simply buy the 8514 monitor and expect Windows/386
> to know about the higher resolution available, perhaps set it up or something?

The next release (3.0?) is expected to run the IBM 8514 card pretty well, as
well as support 256 colors better, but I would reccommend you not push the
issue until it comes out.

> Also, I would appreciate any information about clones that run Windows/386
> in the higher resolution without too much of a problem. I just got burnt because
> the Gateway 2000 machine I bought wouldn't even run Windows/386 at all. I am so
> fed up with dealing with ignorant mail order bozos that I am willing to sign
> over my bank account to BigBlue just to get some peace of mind.

The original development environment at Microsoft were Compaq machines (or so
I have heard), so they should not have any problems -- and in fact Windows/386
runs as well as I have become inclined to expect it to on an ancient Compaq
386/16 in my office, as well as on a Micronix 20 MHz motherboard in our QC
department and on an Everex Step/20 386 box (I believe).  One of our customers
has standardized on the HP 386 box, so I assume that it works well on it
(since they run mostly Windows aps, they may not be testing it very rigorously
though).

> I assume the Model 70 doesn't have too many compatibility problems!!!

I would expect it to have no more than the systems I listed above -- even
Microsoft, even in these days and times, cannot ignore Big Blue!!

> Thanks,
> Milan.

You're welcome,
chasm
Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.  <== Apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems   <== No disclaimers required -- that's just me
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us <== soon to be attctc.dallas.tx.us I think

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (06/29/89)

In article <246400016@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Hello.
>
>I am considering the purchase of an IBM model 70. However, I would like to use
>Windows/386 in a resolution higher than 640x480, like some of those clones with
>cards like Paradise. Can I simply buy the 8514 monitor and expect Windows/386
>to know about the higher resolution available, perhaps set it up or something?

I know that the the slow boot version of Windows that I've been using for our
training course can be set up for an 8514.  We use the driver on a normal
VGA system in order to get a large font for the screen TV.  I would imagine that
there is a way to use the 8514 on a normal version of windows as well.
--
"I place my faith in fools.  Self confidence, my friends call it."
					-Edgar Allen Poe

Patrick Deupree -> patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

jxh@cup.portal.com (Jim - Hickstein) (07/07/89)

For what it's worth, I tried to run Win386 on my PS-2/80 with an 8514/A
(note the /A: that's the board) and an 8514 (that's the monitor), but
ran into difficulty.  I got an 8514/A driver for Win386 alright, but it
DEMANDED the OPTIONAL EXTRA-COST memory chip set that endows the
8514/A with 8 bits per pixel.  [I thought I was all screamed-out from
the first time I launched this tirade a few months ago: evidently not :-)]
*sigh*  I bought it.  Not too bad, only
about 300 bucks.  THEN: it didn't work.  The base board evidently had a
fault that didn't show up until I tried to install the option memory; I'm
still trying to get None-Of-Your_Businessland to fix it without taking
down my entire development environment for a week during a major project.
(They say they don't have an 8514 [that's the monitor, remember?] with
which to test the board, and that IBM insists that they test the complete
system before handing anything back to the customer.  Quality, eh?)

It ought to work, but make the dealer install the extra memory for you
so they can't blame you when it doesn't.  Also, buy it ONLY from an
IBM authorized dealer; I bought it from the clone store that my boss
insists on doing business with, and don't have a lever to use on B'land.

-Jim Hickstein
jxh@cup.portal.com
...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!jxh

mikec@ux1.lbl.gov (Mike Chin) (07/07/89)

In article <20201@cup.portal.com> jxh@cup.portal.com (Jim - Hickstein) writes:
>For what it's worth, I tried to run Win386 on my PS-2/80 with an 8514/A

Is it now possible to get full 8514 resolution (1000xwhatever) with
Win386? Last time I tried, I could only get VGA resolution; MS had
not yet come up with a driver for 8514 for Win386. I ended up
running my apps under Windows 2.0, which did have an 8514 driver, for
resolution and speed.

PM, on the other hand, DOES support 8514 graphics (and VGA, too),
and after 2mos of converting windows code, I'd have to say it's
a nicer environment.

Mike Chin
MJChin@lbl.gov

fredei@microsoft.UUCP (Fred Einstein) (07/10/89)

	There is a jumper on one of the two 8514/A sandwich boards which
you must change in order to run with the 1 meg memory option.  Also, if
Businessland needs to fix your 8514/A card or test it, they can do so
with any NEC MultiSync 2 monitor (yes folks, it does work, even though
it's not "officially" spec'd for it).  I have never had any trouble with
the 8514/A.  To run Windows (or Windows/386), you do not need to run HDILOAD.EXEIn fact, it is somewhat wasteful to do so since it's a 16K terminate and
stay resident program.