[comp.windows.ms] Slow Boot version of Windows

schwartz@dinl.uucp (Michael Schwartz) (11/22/88)

I have both MSWindows (2.1) and the SDK, and have been having great fun
with both.  I have a graphics card that does many emulations that work
with windows.  Petzold's book indicates that the SDK should contain
information about the "slow boot" version that would allow easy
replacement of screen/mouse drivers (I'd like that!).  I found no such
instructions.

Is the "slow boot" version applicable to version 2.1?  Is it the same as
the "Debug" version?  How does one replace drivers "easily?"  Who will
untie Pauline from the railroad tracks?

Thanks for any help someone can lend.

Michael Schwartz
ncar!dinl!schwartz

mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM (Marc Guyott) (11/23/88)

In article <789@dinl.mmc.UUCP> schwartz@dinl.uucp (Michael Schwartz) writes:

>Is the "slow boot" version applicable to version 2.1?  Is it the same as
>the "Debug" version?  How does one replace drivers "easily?"  Who will
>untie Pauline from the railroad tracks?

The slow boot version is created by directly copying the files that windows
needs from the SDK diskettes.  You can create either a regular slow boot or a
debug slow boot.

The required files are:

    windowing layer
        kernel.exe
        gdi.exe
        user.exe
    driver layer
        keyboard.drv
        comm.drv
        sound.drv
        display.drv
        mouse.drv
        system.drv
    boot application
        msdos.exe

I believe that this is all of the files that you need, but I have not actually
done this yet so I am not sure.

Of course the driver files that you use depend on your hardware setup.  One
way to find out what files you need is to copy the debug version of the 3
.exe files, hook up a dumb terminal for debugging, and then type "kernel".
The start up should abort because of a missing file, and the name of the
missing file should be displayed on the debug terminal.  You then copy this
file from the SDK diskettes.

To run windows you enter "kernel".  The slow boot version always begins
by executing msdos.exe.  If you want windows to come up and execute your
application you copy or rename your application to msdos.exe in the slow
boot directory.

The install program creates 3 files from the above list for the fast boot
version, WIN.COM (this is a memory resident stub used to reload windows if
you run a DOS application that requires lots of memory), WIN200.OBL (contains
load on call code and other parts of windows that can be descarded during
normal windows operation), and WIN200.BIN (this remains resident while
windows is running unless a DOS application needs the memory then it gets
tossed out and WIN.COM is used to reload it when the DOS application
terminates).  It is called the fast boot version because it takes less time
to initially load Windows into memory.  This is the only performance
difference.

Here's another interesting tid bit.  If you are using a second monitor instead
of a dumb terminal windows will still attempt to display RIP codes and stack
traces to the dumb terminal.  In order to have RIP codes and stack traces
displayed on your second monitor you need to add the following line to your
config.sys file:

    DEVICE = C:\DOS\OX.SYS

you also need to copy ox.sys from the SDK diskettes into the appropriate
directory (dos in this case).

                                          I hope this helps,
                                               Marc
----
              "All my life I always wanted to BE somebody.
               I see now I should have been more specific."
                             Jane Wagner
Marc Guyott                                         mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!mguyott
Mirror Systems	Cambridge, MA  02140                617/661-0777

gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) (07/12/89)

Can anyone forward me information on how to make a slow boot version of
Windows.  Petzold's book mentioned it, but the SDK I have (version 2.03)
doesn't mention it at all.

Also, does anyone know why the video drivers are different for Windows/386?

---Paul Gyugyi, gyugyi@portia.stanford.edu

richg@blake.acs.washington.edu (Richard Goldfinder) (07/12/89)

Paul Gyugyi:

 Information on creating a slow boot version of Windows is availble from
Microsoft Product Support. Call 206-454-2030, dial 7-2 when you hear the
recording, and ask for it. If they don't recognize the name (they should),
ask for the "RC Compiler For SDK" application note (it's two notes in one).

As for Windows/386 requiring different video drivers, that's due to the
virtual display driver aspect--support for a graphics screen within a
window, etc.

  --Richard

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (07/14/89)

In article <3503@portia.Stanford.EDU> gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) writes:
>Can anyone forward me information on how to make a slow boot version of
>Windows.  Petzold's book mentioned it, but the SDK I have (version 2.03)
>doesn't mention it at all.

Check for a README file on one of the disks.  That is where the directions
I have for the slow boot version came from.  The file should be a Windows
Write file (.WRI) and includes updates to all the manuals including the
little printed correction guide.

>Also, does anyone know why the video drivers are different for Windows/386?

It has something to do with the virtual machine part of Windows.  The device
driver kit says that you must make a Windows/286 driver and then you can make
the Windows/386 driver from that.  I do not have the 386 driver kit so I do
not know what changes must be made.