[comp.windows.ms] Trouble with DLL-libs

s33957e@saha.hut.fi (Petri Kalervo Havanto) (07/13/89)

	I am having some trouble with DLL-libraries. Though they are
seemingly properly defined, my link4 doesn't find the functions in them,
it acts exactly as if the name of the importlibrary wasn'n on commandline.

The LIBRARY-statement in DEF-file is okay, I think the EXPORT-statements
are OK as well, but about them I am really not that sure, anyway,
the implib has noting to complain, and the names of exported functions
are in the 'stublibrary'. Now some questions arise:

	How does one make it clear to the linker that should read
an importlibrary? Is there maybe something wrong with the DEF-files
(either library's or the program's that is to be linked)

	Then when (if) I finally succeed in linking, where does
the system look for the actual library?

	I had a couple of other questions too, but let's leave them
to another time...

--
Petri Havanto

s33957e@saha.hut.fi.UUCP

bturner@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Turner) (07/15/89)

>	I am having some trouble with DLL-libraries. Though they are
>seemingly properly defined, my link4 doesn't find the functions in them,
>it acts exactly as if the name of the importlibrary wasn'n on commandline.

Did you run IMPLIB to build the import library?  (I'm not clear from your
problem description if you're having problems building the DLL or in using
the DLL with another program -- I'm assuming the latter).

IMPLIB is what builds the <library>.LIB file, which is linked with the
program that calls the DLL.  LINK4 is what builds the <library>.EXE (or .DLL)
file.

--Bill Turner (bturner@hp-pcd.hp.com)
HP Corvallis Information Systems

paulc@microsoft.UUCP (Paul Canniff 2/1011) (07/17/89)

In article <23614@santra.UUCP> s33957e@saha.hut.fi.UUCP (Petri Kalervo Havanto) writes:

>	I am having some trouble with DLL-libraries. Though they are
>seemingly properly defined, my link4 doesn't find the functions in them,
>it acts exactly as if the name of the importlibrary wasn'n on commandline.

I was confused by the article you posted.  If you want to send m
the DEF files for both the DLL and the application, and the link
script or makefile, I will look them over and summarize to the
newsgroup.  But I could not make out from your posting where the
problem was or what was happening!