[comp.windows.ms] Debugging Windows w/o a Debugger

markh@rtech.rtech.com (Mark Hanner) (07/22/89)

In article <106580054@hpcvlx.HP.COM> bturner@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Turner) writes:

>(I'm with Mike Roper on this:  How *have* you been debugging your apps if
>you don't have a terminal or some other debugging method?)

Having learned C back before there WERE any decent debuggers, I do
"printf-debugging" (or now, tracewin_printf(...))  pretty much as second nature
now. I have used codeview quite a bit, but symdeb is a real pain to use.
I've got a vt220 set up to catch the RIP's, but i pick up most of my bugs
with my own trace window and Spy (which is invaluable).

I am not producing commercial software, so I haven't heeded the warning
in the debugging version about testing my programs on EMS, but then i'm the
only user. I think I would agree that if you want to build applications for
money, you have to be more rigorous in your development methods. This seems
especially true for windows which is a minefield of easy ways to create
untraceable problems. There is a reason that there are not very many
windows applications: it's very hard to make them work right and on every
bizarre configuration of PC in the world.

cheers,
mark
--
markh@rtech.COM
"Crass generalizations may be justified by admitting 10 exceptions."