[comp.windows.ms] Windows 386 Super VGA Drivers

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (07/20/89)

To those who might be interested:

I am in the market for a super VGA adapter for running Windows.  I was
looking at the VGA Wonder by ATI, but it does not have the Windows/386
drivers.  I called them yesterday to see if they planned to support
Windows/386 and they said that they would be shipping out drivers for
it in about 2 weeks.  He said that the drivers would support 1024x768 and
800x600x16.  He did not think that they would support the 800x600x256
mode.  We shall see.

-----Dale
	Rogerson-----

In article <2610@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM> rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) writes:
>To those who might be interested:
>
>I am in the market for a super VGA adapter for running Windows.  I was
>looking at the VGA Wonder by ATI, but it does not have the Windows/386
>drivers.  I called them yesterday to see if they planned to support
>Windows/386 and they said that they would be shipping out drivers for
>it in about 2 weeks.  He said that the drivers would support 1024x768 and
>800x600x16.  He did not think that they would support the 800x600x256
>mode.  We shall see.
>
>-----Dale
>	Rogerson-----

Very interesting.  I am in the market, too, for a Super VGA card
and had written off the VGA Wonder because of its lack of Windows/386
support.  This was based on the review of Super VGA boards in the July
issue of PC Magazine.  For those who don't have this issue, the ATI
VGA Wonder was the "Editor's Choice" despite its lack of a Windows/386
driver.  Other boards that did support Windows/286 *and* Windows/386
at 800x600 or greater include:

Western Digital Paradise VGA Professional
Intelligent Data Systems Intelligent VGA 650 (evidently the same
   board as the Paradise VGA PLus 16)
SOTA VGA/16
Allstar Peacock Plus EVGA
STB VGA EM-16
Genoa SuperVGA 5400
Tatung VGA
Video Seven V-RAM VGA

I'm wondering whether 1024x768 resolution is worth getting;
it is reasonable to view on a monitor that costs $1000 or less?

Mark Riordan   riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu