[comp.windows.ms] debugging with codeview using dual monitors

usgrif@ecsvax.UUCP (Steve Griffin) (07/24/89)

POSTING FOR A FRIEND - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am debugging windows applications using the CVW.EXE version of codeview.
I am working with a PS/2 model 60.  I have an 8513 monitor attatched to the
mother board VGA.  I have an 8513 monitor attached to an 8514/a adapter
installed in slot #7.  I have tried to use the "/2" parameter to set codeview
to use a secondary monitor to take advantage of the full window mode.  The
result is that all output stops going to my VGA but nothing goes to the 8513
attached to the 8514.  The program continues to run and can be terminated
normally.

Is there any chance that this will work?  Is this the best setup for using
codeview?  Should I be using the remote terminal instead?

Thanks, Scott Burchill

Steve Griffin
Institute for Academic Technology
usgrif@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

DKRUGER@UALTAVM.BITNET (Dwight Kruger) (07/27/89)

In article <7367@ecsvax.UUCP>, usgrif@ecsvax.UUCP (Steve Griffin) writes:

>I am debugging windows applications using the CVW.EXE version of codeview.
>I am working with a PS/2 model 60.  I have an 8513 monitor attatched to the
>mother board VGA.  I have an 8513 monitor attached to an 8514/a adapter
>installed in slot #7.  I have tried to use the "/2" parameter to set codeview
>to use a secondary monitor to take advantage of the full window mode.  The
>result is that all output stops going to my VGA but nothing goes to the 8513
>attached to the 8514.  The program continues to run and can be terminated
>normally.
>
>Is there any chance that this will work?  ...
The installed 8514/a adapter over-rides the VGA installed on the
motherboard.  The PS/2 design allows for all video commands not
understood by the VGA adapter to be automically routed to the 8514/a
adapter card.  This will confuse windows (and codeview).

It is interesting that all output to both monitors stops, I would have
guessed that output to the VGA would halt, output to the 8514/a would
continue.  I am assuming that you have installed the correct device
drivers in your config.sys for the 8514/a adapter.

Dwight Kruger