[comp.windows.ms] C_Talk review and final review if CommonView C++.

jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu (Jon Greenblatt) (08/24/89)

	First of all I finished reviewing CommonView C++. I found it to
be mostly broken. The class library is realy bad and the examples won't
hold water. I saw a lot of promises in the read.me's that say so much will
happen in such a short time that I beleive none of it will happen.
Now that I fully understand C++ I feel C++ is to OOPS as COBOL is to
stuctured programming! C++ may be an OOPS but it is not a very good one.

	I got C_Talk in yesturday and I am truly amazed at how rich the
environment is. Of all the OOPS I have seen ACTOR has the best syntax, it
is intepreted however which does limit you in terms of size and speed.
C_talk gives you the ACTOR/SmallTalk like environment with all the power,
speed, and flexability of C. C_Talk is compiled so the executable modules are
fast. The environment includes a browser which simplifies using the Class
heirarchy. The syntax on the OOPS side is a little flakey due to it's
similarity to SmallTalk but the language is rich enough that I can ignore
that. I gave 5 minute demo of C_Talk to someone in my office and they
immediatly stole my second copy of C_Talk and are ready to make it their next
programming environment. The final apps produced by C_talk are small, compact,
and fast. The class library is rich and the source code is provided!
(A REAL PLUS!).

	In summary I think C_Talk is excellent and I highly recomend it
to anyone who wishes a complete  OOPS environment in C.

						JonnyG.

jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu (Jon Greenblatt) (08/24/89)

        BTW:

        C_Talk is available for MSDOS and C_Talk/Views is the MS Windows
version of C_Talk. C_Talk advertises future ports to X Windows and the
Mac. I believe the ports will happen because C_Talk is written in a
highly portable, compiler independent manner. It already supports
several C compilers on the DOS side and you get complete source code to
the environment.

                                                JonnyG.

grg@otter.hpl.hp.com (Gerd Groos) (08/25/89)

In your "CommonView review", you say

   1. "I found it to be mostly broken."
   2. "The class library is really bad"
   3. "The examples won't hold water."
   4. "[No improvements] will happen."
   5. You don't like C++ (thought you posted a note saying you would
      a while ago?)

4. is a speculation.
5. is your opinion - nobody is forced to use a certain programming language

Would you mind translating "mostly broken", "bad", "hold water" into
more technical terms? I just don't understand what you are saying...

From my experience I think it's quite usable. Maybe I just didn't notice
it didn't work?

Some things I would like to know about C_Talk:

   - How fast are C_Talk programs compared to C++ programs
   - Does C_Talk produce MS Window applications (like CommonView)
   - If yes, are you limited to the subset of MS Window functions
     implemented in C_Talk or is there a way of accessing the others?
   - What makes C_Talks window class library better than CommonViews?

                  Gerd.

jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu (Jon Greenblatt) (08/29/89)

	I think I have found out why the CommonView interface to MS Windows
is so limited. The OASYS company sells their own windows class system
for Glockenspiel C++. They say they support many UNIX systems, DOS, X Windows,
MS Windows, and support a windows library for systems that don't support
windows like Xenix. With a software product this extensive already written
for CommonView it makes sense that Glockenspiel did not put that much effort
into their own.

	Like I said before the Glockenspiel C++ compiler works great. With
the availability of the windows libraries from OASYS I think this is a more
usable environment than what I previously speculated (given my requirements).
I am still waiting for an compiled OOPS with garbage collection. Apparently
there is a product out called Eiffel but it may be a little while before it's
available in the form I need.

	BTW Actor is the fasted interpreted language I have ever used and it
has met all my needs up to now. At this point my apps are getting into the
thousands of lines and I realy something very small and very fast. I would
strongly suggest Actor for any reasonable apps.

	Sorry for the small flame war I started. I learned a lot this last
week from my foolishness and I hope others benifited from my little fit.

						JonnyG.

In article <5272@umd5.umd.edu> jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu (Jon Greenblatt) writes:

>	I think I have found out why the CommonView interface to MS Windows
>is so limited. The OASYS company sells their own windows class system
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>for Glockenspiel C++. They say they support many UNIX systems, DOS, X Windows,
>MS Windows, and support a windows library for systems that don't support

>						JonnyG.

	I saw this add int the August '89 issue of "Computer Language".
I called OASYS and they said they DO NOT support the IBM PC or the IBM RT under
MS Windows or X Windows. Their add listed these as supported environments and
stated that their software is field proven. If anyone would like their number
I will be glad to give it out, they were very short with me! Maybe they
have been reading my recent net foolishness.

					JonnyG.

I believe everything I read!