[comp.windows.ms] Clipboard formats & DDE hot-links

ptodd@tekirl.LABS.TEK.COM (Philip Todd) (08/29/89)

I am trying to guess which will be the most useful clipboard formats
to support in my Windows application.  What formats are most often
used.  Which programs deal with metafiles as well as bitmaps?

Further, which programs support DDE?

Phil Todd

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (09/01/89)

In article <5839@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> ptodd@tekirl.LABS.TEK.COM (Philip Todd) writes:
>I am trying to guess which will be the most useful clipboard formats
>to support in my Windows application.  What formats are most often
>used.  Which programs deal with metafiles as well as bitmaps?
>
>Further, which programs support DDE?
>
>Phil Todd

One of my pet peeves about companies that have Window products is the lack
of co-operation.  Windows is a non-preemptive multitasking environment, and
therefore to get the most out of the environment everyone must co-operate.
I wish that everyone who had a Windows program would release a DLL library
with the program which contained functions to handle your programs
proprietary data formats.  This would make everyone job alot easier and
reduce the amount of repeat work and let everyone get done to the job
at hand.

Another wish would be for everyone to allow hooks into their programs through
DDE, so that one program could use another program to preform certain
functions (i.e. program a uses Excel to do math, Ami to print things, and
Graph to show graphs all without the user knowing) Oh well I guess I am
thinking about NewWave....

BTW, Someone publishes a free registry of Windows programs which tells
which programs support DDE and which do not.  I do not think MS publishes
this list, but they probably know who does.

Still waiting for Windows 3.0...
-----Dale
	Rogerson-----