[comp.windows.ms] Journal Program

ramspott@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (John E. Ramspott) (09/15/89)

I have been using the Journal program (version 2.01) under Windows/286 for
some time now, but recently have been attempting to run it under Windows/386
but with no luck at all. It crashes, usually by returning me to the DOS
prompt.
   The problem seems to be in the KeyHook function used to do the recording.
Once I have executed the journal program, hitting any function key (not just
the ones the Journal program uses) causes me to crash back to the DOS prompt.
   I have a system with over 3 Mb of extended memory. I can get the Journal
program to work if I start win386 with the /n option, which turns off any
attempt to use the extended memory. However, the software that I want to use
the Journal program with requires that extended memory.
	Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem is? Has anyone else
seen this problem? What is the fix?    Thanx.

--
John E. Ramspott, NCR, SE-Columbia.  Usenet: ramspott@columbia.NCR.COM
     "Amiga's so fine, there's no telling where the money went..."

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (09/15/89)

In article <425@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM> ramspott@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (John E. Ramspott) writes:
>I have been using the Journal program (version 2.01) under Windows/286 for
>some time now, but recently have been attempting to run it under Windows/386
>but with no luck at all. It crashes, usually by returning me to the DOS
>prompt.
>   The problem seems to be in the KeyHook function used to do the recording.
>   I have a system with over 3 Mb of extended memory. I can get the Journal
				      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
				     This is the problem.
>program to work if I start win386 with the /n option, which turns off any
>attempt to use the extended memory.

The problem is happening when the Journal program gets swapped out to
extended memory.  The solution is to put the KeyHook function into a DLL,
I believe.  The on disk README file that came with the SDK 2.1 mentions the
fact that all but one of the Hook functions must be in a DLL in order to
function correctly.  The Journal program is an old program which was
written before this became a requirement.

Check the on disk update file and see what it says concerning the message
hooks.  This is all from memory.  I have been riding bikes instead of
programming!

"The 386 is here! Much better than a Tandy 1000 for Windows development!"
-----Dale
	Rogerson-----