[comp.windows.ms] Using a 19" monitor with Windows

jeanluc@coherent.com (Jean-Luc Brouillet) (09/19/89)

I want to use a 19" color monitor with Windows, hopefully at a resolution
of about 1000 x 800.  Does anyone knows of a combination of monitor /
video card / driver that does the trick?

Thanks!

Jean-Luc Brouillet         Coherent Thought Inc                  Palo Alto, CA
UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!jeanluc    DOMAIN: jeanluc@coherent.com
     INTERNET: coherent!jeanluc@ames.arpa, ...@uunet.uu.net

--

gupta-p@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Pankaj Gupta) (09/21/89)

In article <33910@coherent.coherent.com> jeanluc@coherent.com (Jean-Luc Brouillet) writes:
>I want to use a 19" color monitor with Windows, hopefully at a resolution
>of about 1000 x 800.  Does anyone knows of a combination of monitor /
>video card / driver that does the trick?

I saw a demo of IBM's new 8514 Graphics Adapter. It has 1024x768 resolution
and the demo looked pretty slick. We were told that the 8514 card is
available for the time being for PS/2 model 50,55,70 and 80. I don't
know if this 8514 card would work with a std. IBM VGA monitor or requires
an autosync capable monitor.

..PJ

roberts@sunray.UUCP (Robert Stanley) (09/22/89)

In article <61647@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> P J Gupta
           <gupta-p@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <33910@coherent.coherent.com> jeanluc@coherent.com
>           (Jean-Luc Brouillet) writes:
>>I want to use a 19" color monitor with Windows, hopefully at a resolution
>>of about 1000 x 800.  Does anyone knows of a combination of monitor /
>>video card / driver that does the trick?
>
>I saw a demo of IBM's new 8514 Graphics Adapter. It has 1024x768 resolution
>and the demo looked pretty slick. We were told that the 8514 card is
>available for the time being for PS/2 model 50,55,70 and 80. I don't
>know if this 8514 card would work with a std. IBM VGA monitor or requires
>an autosync capable monitor.

The 8514/A board needs an 8514 monitor (or equivalent).  The 8514 monitor
is a 15" interlaced monitor, which doesn't do badly for the price.  The
8514/A is actually a fairly impressive graphics card, but there is a truly
woeful lack of technical information available.

Microsoft have true 8514/A drivers available in Windows/286 version 2.10
and Windows/386 version 2.11.  Both Microsoft and IBM production versions
of OS/2 1.10 (Presentation Manager) support the 8514/A.

If you don't have 8514/A drivers, you get a perfect IBM VGA in a larger
than usual format; it's actually rather nice.  Rumour has it that there
is a new version in the works which will have a higher resolution than the
current 1024 x 768 pixels, however I haven't seen it yet.  The main
advantage of the 8514/A is not so much the increased real-estate (although
that is extremely nice), it's the powerful and reasonably well-thought-out
set of on-board graphics functions which help off-load the main processor.
We've been running one on a PS/2 Model 80 for just about a year, and have
had no problems, other than the usual idiosyncrasies of IBM hardware and
Microsoft software.

Robert_S
--
|  _ \  / _ \ / __|  Robert Stanley   UUCP: uunet!mitel!sce!cognos!roberts
| |_> || |_| |\__ \                   INET: roberts%cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net
|_| |_\|_| |_||___/                  Voice: (613)738-1338 x6115
Cognos Inc., 3755 Riverside Drive, PO Box 9707, Ottawa, Ont  K1G 3Z4, Canada

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (09/22/89)

>I saw a demo of IBM's new 8514 Graphics Adapter. It has 1024x768 resolution
>and the demo looked pretty slick.
Don't they all! But believing what a demo does might make you look like
a baboon. (For the cognoscenti, the killer demo for IBM last REALLY
successful graphics adapter, the Professional Graphics Controller,
was a baboon.)

>We were told that the 8514 card is
>available for the time being for PS/2 model 50,55,70 and 80. I don't
>know if this 8514 card would work with a std. IBM VGA monitor or requires
>an autosync capable monitor.

They require a dedicated monitor or some but not just any multisync.
IBM's own is, as usual, among the worst. It is unusable with a
white background.

The 8514 is not setting the world on fire. For one thing, IBM won't
release to anyone except Microsoft the specs, so there is no way
to program it directly.

Doug MCDonald