[comp.windows.ms] Codeview for Windows problem.

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/18/89)

Hello.

I got such a good response from my last posting, I thought I'd venture another
question. I am trying to get codeview for windows to work on my 386. First of
all, do I still need another monitor for that, or can it work within a
"virtual" dos machine set up by win386? The documentation seems to indicate
the latter. Well, I installed the debugging version of Windows/386, and started
up cvw as specified in the documentation. All I got was a blinking cursor.
However, codeview seems to be up and running, because I can still type in
commands and it does as told. For example, I can type "G" and hit enter, and it
brings up windows as it should.

So the only problem is that codeview can't seem to write to my primary display.

I am using version 2.1 of win386 and the SDK. I have a Mylex motherboard, AMI
bios, 4Megs of RAM. I also have a Paradise VGA+/16 card and a NEC 3D.

Any response will be appreciated,

Thanks,

Milan
.

paul@cscnj.csc.COM (Paul Moody) (09/22/89)

In article <246400026@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
 .... deleted ....
> I am trying to get codeview for windows to work on my 386. First of
> all, do I still need another monitor for that, or can it work within a
> "virtual" dos machine set up by win386?
.... deleted ....

When cvw/386 starts (correctly) you are in a 386 windows virtual
machine, but the windows gui is not started yet. Its a rather
odd situation.

It has been our experiance that cvw is best used with windows/286
and 386-to-the-max. CVW is also virtually unusable without a
second monitor.

--
Paul Moody @CSC
...usual disclaimer...