[comp.windows.ms] Vega VGA 800x600

ccplot@castor.ucdavis.edu (Paul Cheng) (09/22/89)

Hello, I have a small problem, and I'm tired of waiting on Vega's
phone help line for TWO hours.

I have an IBM AT clone, a basic Vega VGA card, and a NEC Multisync
II monitor running Windows 2.1.  There are drivers for Windows at
800x600, but when I try to use it, it shifts the screen image over
to the right (it's not centered).  I have to readjust the screen
image manually.

Do any of you out there know if this is inherent in the driver, or
is it because of the monitor or the video card, or what?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Cheng
Computing Services, UC Davis
pccheng@ucdavis

hv@chyde.uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (09/22/89)

In article <5384@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, ccplot@castor.ucdavis.edu (Paul Cheng)
writes:
> 800x600, but when I try to use it, it shifts the screen image over
> to the right (it's not centered).  I have to readjust the screen
> image manually.

I have almost the same hardware except that I have Trident TVGA card
and TVM multisync. But I managed to adjust it quite near to the center.
Still I'm curious why this happens. My monitor has resolution of
900x610 or something like that but the area that my 800x600 uses
is almost square and there are quite wide empty areas on both sides.
So I suspect the driver but are there any other opinions?
--
	Harri Valkama			: email:  hv@chyde.uwasa.fi (internet)
Computer Centre, University of Vaasa	:         valkama@finfun    (bitnet)

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/24/89)

I had the exact same problem. I solved it by using the NEC 3D, which I believe
remebers the settings for each mode (the word mode being undefined!). In any
case, I can set the controls for the regular VGA mode, then independantly set
the controls for 800x600 mode. Whenever the software changes mode, the 3D
remembers the appropriate settings.