[comp.windows.ms] need win386 compiler help

pat@cscnj.csc.COM (Patrick Hester) (10/05/89)

I'm trying to develop under win386 2.1
My problem occurs whenever I change my C source and recompile.
The compile works fine, but when I try to run the output file,
windows tells me it can't find the program, please insert it in
drive A: (I am compiling off of drive D:)
I've been told that windows keeps a copy of the directory and does
not recognise updates (like when you make a new executable).
I've tried logging to different drives and directories and then
back to my work directory, but windows insists on looking at the
floppy drive. I put an old copy of the program I'm developing onto
floppy so at least this condition doesn't lock up my system waiting
for a program on A:, but in order to actually execute my new program,
I must exit windows and come back in. Needless to say, this gets
pretty old in a big hurry. Especially in one or two line changes.
Any suggestions?
Thanx in advance!

--
  8====8   -<-@   Patrick Hester   (201)-562-6533   =8(/\/)   8====8

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (10/07/89)

In article <373@cscnj.csc.COM>, pat@cscnj.csc.COM (Patrick Hester) writes:
> I'm trying to develop under win386 2.1
> My problem occurs whenever I change my C source and recompile.
> The compile works fine, but when I try to run the output file,
> windows tells me it can't find the program, please insert it in
> drive A: (I am compiling off of drive D:)
> I've been told that windows keeps a copy of the directory and does
> not recognise updates (like when you make a new executable).
> I've tried logging to different drives and directories and then
> back to my work directory, but windows insists on looking at the
> floppy drive. I put an old copy of the program I'm developing onto
> floppy so at least this condition doesn't lock up my system waiting
> for a program on A:, but in order to actually execute my new program,
> I must exit windows and come back in. Needless to say, this gets
> pretty old in a big hurry. Especially in one or two line changes.
> Any suggestions?
> Thanx in advance!

I do development in the same environment (Win386/2.1) and have no problems. Do
you make sure that the last version of your application is closed before you
recompile? I experience similar symptoms to yours under Win286 if I have an old
version running, recompile, then in the reswapping process after the
compilation, Windows goes looking for the executable which belongs to the old
version, and can't find it. It then gives the infuriating "Place disk in A:"
message. You may be experiencing something similar. It doesn't seem to happen on
my 386 because I have sufficient EMS memory that programs aren't swapped to disk
even when the C compiler is running.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983