[comp.windows.ms] Debugging with the Slow boot Windows

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (10/11/89)

Has anyone tried using Codeview with the slow boot (debugging) version
of Windows.  I have been using Codeview with the normal debugging version
of Windows and would like to be able to use the slow boot version so I
can change device types.  The problem with the slow boot version is that
there is no WIN.COM file to send to the debugger.

"Where did you go during Hugo?"
-----Dale
	Rogerson-----

michaelt@microsoft.UUCP (Michael Thurlkill 1/1029) (10/17/89)

In article <2751@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM> rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) writes:
>Has anyone tried using Codeview with the slow boot (debugging) version
>of Windows.  I have been using Codeview with the normal debugging version
>of Windows and would like to be able to use the slow boot version so I
>can change device types.  The problem with the slow boot version is that
>there is no WIN.COM file to send to the debugger.

To run the debug version of Windows, you run Kernel.exe. This will
work when running the debugger also. Actually, I run a slow boot
win/386. With that, you rename command.com to win86.com, and win86
to win.com. Then when you run Win386, you drop into a v86 command.com,
from which you run Codeview with win.com on the command line.
See the Update Notes file on the 2.1 SDK disks for information about
setting up a slow boot version of Windows.

This does work, and it is very convenient for testing different
configurations. I have batch files to quickly switch between CGA, EGA,
VGA, and SVGA modes.

Mike

Disclaimer: These thoughts and opinions belong only to me. They should
not be mis-construed as being correct or in any way related to my employer.