[comp.windows.ms] Windows 386

frank5@mars.njit.edu (Frank D. Greco CIS Adj. Prof.) (07/16/89)

After installing windows-386, I tried to run it but got the message:

	"Protected mode software already installed."

Then I get the command.com prompt back.

What gives?

Frank

fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (10/17/89)

Hello,
I would like to know if Windows 386 is fully cabable of multitasking under
DOS 3.2 ?
Or is it just like Windows 286?

What are the main advantages of Windows 386 over 286 ?

Please reply via mail.
Thanks for your help,

	Axel
--
Domain:        fischer@netmbx.UUCP
Europe:        ...!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer

fender@honeydew.ucsb.edu (Chen, John Yun-kuang) (10/17/89)

In article <3610@netmbx.UUCP> fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) writes:

   Hello,
   I would like to know if Windows 386 is fully cabable of multitasking under
   DOS 3.2 ?
   Or is it just like Windows 286?

   What are the main advantages of Windows 386 over 286 ?

   Please reply via mail.
   Thanks for your help,

	   Axel
   --
   Domain:        fischer@netmbx.UUCP
   Europe:        ...!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer
   Rest of world: ...!uunet!pyramid!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer

From my understanding, Windows 386 is fully capable of multitaking as it uses
the "protected" mode of the 386 chip.  This means every window you open
creates a "virtual" 8086 to run it in.  The mail advantages are that you run
multiple windows using the protection in the 386 chip so that the seperate
programs don't crash.

Does someone more knowledgeable know the techinal difference?  I'm a bit fuzzy
myself.

--
John Chen  c/o Assoc. for Computing Machinery| X, emacs, bash, gnus, rmail,
University of California at Santa Barbara    | !vi, !suntools, !csh, !mail

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (10/23/89)

> From my understanding, Windows 386 is fully capable of multitaking as it uses
> the "protected" mode of the 386 chip.  This means every window you open
> creates a "virtual" 8086 to run it in.  The mail advantages are that you run
> multiple windows using the protection in the 386 chip so that the seperate
> programs don't crash.

This is not strictly correct. Every non-Windows application runs in a separate
partition. However, ALL the Windows applications run in ONE partition. It's a
bit like running Windows/286 on top of the 386 memory management. I believe that
Windows 3 will relieve some of these problems so that each Windows application
will have access to up to 16 MBytes of memory.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983