[comp.windows.ms] Accessing net archives

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (11/09/89)

In article <608@alias.UUCP> mherman@alias.UUCP (Michael Herman) writes:
>For many "access to the net" simply means we receive USENET news and we
>use uucp (over dial-up lines) to send and receive mail.
>You can't assume everyone has internet ftp access.

You're right that not everyone is on the Internet so the solution is to
use the e-mail servers that access wsmr-simtel20.army.mil to get the
archives.  You just send mail to one of the servers and it will send
mail back to you.  See comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d for details.  There are
regular postings in that newsgroup describing how to access simtel20 via
FTP and the mail servers.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy