[comp.windows.ms] 16 colors

roper@cs.washington.edu (Michael Roper) (11/15/89)

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> I have been unable to find a 16-color [driver] for...a plain VGA...

Try hDC Windows Color for Windows/286 and /386 v2.1.  It will give
anyone 16 colors with an EGA (640x350) or VGA (640x480).  Note that
Windows/386 does not come with a 480-line driver for VGA.  It is 450
lines so that DOS apps can be displayed in a window.  If you don't
care about running DOS apps in a window (they can always be displayed
full-screen), hDC Windows Color comes with a 16-color, 480-line VGA
driver for Windows/386.  It also comes with a nice palette-setting
utility.  It is available from any Egghead in about a week.

Michael Roper
hDC Computer Corp.

freak@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (c.e.malloy..iii) (11/16/89)

> Try hDC Windows Color for Windows/286 and /386 v2.1.  It will give
> anyone 16 colors with an EGA (640x350) or VGA (640x480).  Note that
> Windows/386 does not come with a 480-line driver for VGA.  It is 450
> lines so that DOS apps can be displayed in a window.  If you don't
> care about running DOS apps in a window (they can always be displayed
> full-screen), hDC Windows Color comes with a 16-color, 480-line VGA
> driver for Windows/386.  It also comes with a nice palette-setting
> utility.  It is available from any Egghead in about a week.
>
> Michael Roper
> hDC Computer Corp.

I bought the last copy that my local Egghead store had last night.  I
like it.  I like it alot.  If you run MS Windows, buy it.  If you write
Windows applications, buy it and make you dialog boxes just like theirs.
Imagine, color and graphics inside a dialog box.  Great!  With 8 years
and over 200 programs, this is the second non-game program that
impressed me.  I only had 20 minutes to spend with the program.  In that
time I installed it and looked into only 4 of the MicroApps.  The font
display not only will display the screen fonts, but will also show you
the printer fonts.  With a hard disk on my PostScript printer, I think
that this is great.  The memory usage program displays current memory
usage with either a pie or bar graph.  It also updates itself whenever
you load a program.  When it is reduced to an icon, the icon shows the
amount of free memory.  The alarm clock allows you to set up to 3 alarm
times.  I set two of them to remind my wife to give our daughter her
medicine.  Finally, I setup the AutoSaver program.  Now when we are
working in Aldus PageMaker, it will automatically save changes every ten
minutes.

Clancy Malloy                                               Oh, my own life
AT&T Bell Labs                                 Is all I can hope to control
Large UNIX System Administration                            Oh, let my life
Naperville, IL                                        Be lived for the good
(708) 979-3946                                             Good of my soul.
att!ihlpa!cem                                                 -- Tom Paxton

PostScript:  The only other non-game program that impressed my was Adobe
             Streamline for the PC.  However, that is another story.