[comp.windows.ms] Glockenspiel CommonView for Windows: Any experience?

dedalus@athena.mit.edu (Lewis J. Gramer) (11/16/89)

I'm wondering if anyone on the net has used Glockenspiel's C++
class library (CommonView) for implementing applications on
Windows or PM?

As I understand it, it comprises a set of canned classes for
user-interface and graphics primitives. I'm wondering if it
is usable for REAL applications, and what the gotchas and limit-
ations are in developing with it.

Please email responses, and if there's a LOT of interest, I'll
summarize to the net. Thanks bunches...

| ====================================================================== |
| | Lewis J. Gramer				dedalus@athena.mit.edu | |
| | (617) 625-0449				84 Oxford Street       | |

parkerw@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Parker Waechter) (11/17/89)

From what I understand, this not only works for windows and pm, but the
same code written with their "CommonView" classes may be compiled to
X or Macintosh windows...this seems abit too good to be true.  I too would
like to hear from anyone who has actually used it.
--------
Parker B. Waechter II
parkerw@cs.ucla.edu

schwartz@dinl.uucp (Michael Schwartz) (11/17/89)

I have used CommonView for a few months.  I am no expert at the
Glockenspiel classes, though I understand a lot more about C++.

Glockenspiel provides 2 class types.  The first, Containers/FreeStore
are interesting even without Windows.  These provide an inheritance
scheme for collections with a storage management scheme divorced from
the stack.  This is a major advantage for Windows (and also nice for EMS).
They do take a while to write for non-trivial cases, though.

The other class type is the GUI hierarchy.  This is a lowest-common-
denominator approach.  I have found very few real applications that can
be written without using the handle escape-hatch to the underlying
operating system (in my case, windows).  The exceptions would be text
and forms based processing.  These can be done nicely in a portable way
(they are, after all, lowest common denominator applications).

The long range picture is rosier.  I believe C++ is a better language
than C, and that my reusable software base will grow in a better way
using it.  While I have had to write a Circle class on my own, it's
done, and I don't have to do it again (what, Never?).
Now I'm just waiting for the version 2.0 to be released.

I have had some problems with documentation (which are being corrected),
and have found some applications which blow CommonView apps away by
breaking the DLL.  These bugs have been reported, and I hope they are
fixed soon.

So, while CommonView is no panacea, I think it has a lot of potential.
If (when?) combined with something like Case/W (but extensible for OWN
classes) this will be a major productivity tool.

Michael
--
-----------------------
schwartz@pogo.den.mmc.com "Expect everything ...

DISCLAIMER:  The opinions expressesed are not necessarily those of my
	     employer or myself.

pdavid@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Erbivore) (11/21/89)

parkerw@lanai.UUCP (Parker Waechter) writes :
>From what I understand, this not only works for windows and pm, but the
>same code written with their "CommonView" classes may be compiled to
>X or Macintosh windows...this seems abit too good to be true.  I too would
>like to hear from anyone who has actually used it.
	Does anyone know if they allow modeless dialog
	boxes yet?  Also, I am interested in a
	summarization of reveiews of the product.
		-Paul.
--
Paul C. David		pdavid@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
California Polytechic State University, San Luis Obispo