[comp.windows.ms] VRAM VGA problem in Windows 386

bose@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (11/23/89)

I have a Vram VGA card on a DELL 25Mhz 386.  Some windows programs
crashes windows and returns the dos prompt.  These same
programs run fine on a AST 386 with a Paradise VGA card.

Has anyone experienced this.  I would appreciate any pointers.

-bose

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (11/27/89)

In article <134000003@iuvax> bose@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:
>I have a Vram VGA card on a DELL 25Mhz 386.  Some windows programs
>crashes windows and returns the dos prompt.  These same
>programs run fine on a AST 386 with a Paradise VGA card.

	I have a Zenith 386/16 with a VRAM running Windows 386. Noticed that
doing gradient fills in Micrografix Designer always caused problems and often
crashes. I found out that there is a newer Windows 386 driver for the VRAM,
available on the Video7 BBS (415)-656-0503. Perhaps the new driver might fix
your problems too.

	On a slightly different topic: here are my two experiences with
1024x768 VGA cards running Windows 386. The VRAM works great, and after the new
driver, seems, for the moment bug-free.
	A cheaper deal is the ATI VGA-Wonder. For 50% less money, the ATI is
quite a good card and the Windows 386 driver seems to be bug-free. However:
1) it is interlaced, rather than non-interlaced, at 1024x768. I haven't noticed
bad flickering problems in 98% of the apps I use. I don't think that for most
people, that this is a serious problem. It is also good in that it allows you
to use a cheaper monitor. I have been using the NEC 3D with good results.
2) the ATI is considerably slower than the VRAM, when running Windows 386. This
drawback can be serious. I estimate that window redraws are as much as 5X slower
than the VRAM. It can be very annoying.
	Another bonus of the ATI is the builtin mouse port, which saves a serial
port.
	For the VRAM, I'm using the NEC Multisync Plus monitor, which is
$200-3000 more than the NEC 3D (at $850). The bottom line: for an extra $500
the VRAM+Multisync Plus gives you faster performance, non-interlace display,
but no mouse port. Otherwise the ATI+3D is a cheap, good way to go.
	So much for now...
				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu