[comp.windows.ms] Actor vs C-Talk

plim@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (11/24/89)

I am thinking of doing personal software development on the MS Windows
platform. After ploughing thru' the magazines, two software tools
seems to stand out:  ACTOR and C-TALK. They are both OOPS. Now the question
is which one should I get ?

From advertisement, it says ACTOR generates YACC compatible outputs.
Don't exactly know what it means, but I certainly like to use the thing
together with YACC.

As for C-TALK, it says that there will be future X-window version.
After going thru' the window development toolkit manual, it seems quite
impossible to hack MS Windows program for use under X-window. So,
I definitely want this feature of C-TALK.

Did anyone use either or both of these tools and would like to share
with me their experience ? Help a poor guy make the decision. E-mail
to me directly or reply to this notes.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Peter Lim.
HP Singapore IC Design Center.

      E-mail address:              plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM
      Snail Mail address:          Peter Lim
                                   Hewlett Packard Singapore,
                                   (ICDS, ICS)
                                   1150, Depot Road,
                                   Singapore   0410.
      Telephone:                   (065)-279-2289

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (11/27/89)

In article <8390001@hpsgpa.HP.COM> plim@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:

>I am thinking of doing personal software development on the MS Windows
>platform. After ploughing thru' the magazines, two software tools
>seems to stand out:  ACTOR and C-TALK. They are both OOPS. Now the question
>is which one should I get ?

Well, since I work for the company that writes Actor I would, of course, say
that you should buy Actor.  That's a biased opinion though.

I'm sending you our literature (or more specifically I'm having a sales dude
do it) but I'll address one question that you had right now.  You asked about
compatibility with Yacc.  We do provide a way for you to create your own
script language under Actor (it's not easy, but then YACC never is).  We even
have a YACC parser on our BBS and produces Actor code.  Neat stuff, eh?

To address another issue you had, we also plan to have an X-Windows version
some time in the future.  I'm not sure what time frame the C-Talk guys are
shooting for, but we are not sure of ours so I couldn't announce any general
times that we might have an X-Windows version.

--
"I place my faith in fools.  Self confidence, my friends call it."
					-Edgar Allen Poe

Patrick Deupree -> patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us